h1d3r00t

h1d3r00t

I’m learning Pheonix via programming Pheonix > 1.4 book. The chapter 3 code cannot run.

defmodule Rumbl.Accounts.User do
  defstruct [:id, :name, :username]
end

defmodule Rumbl.Accounts do

  alias Rumbl.Accounts.User

  def list_users do
    [
      %User{id: "1", name: "jose", username: "josevalim"}
    ]
  end
end

Then run in iex. I faced this error.

** (CompileError) accounts.ex:7: Rumbl.Accounts.User.__struct__/1 is undefined, cannot expand struct Rumbl.Accounts.User. Make sure the struct name is correct. If the struct name exists and is correct 
but it still cannot be found, you likely have cyclic module usage in your code

What am I wrong?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

Aetherus

Aetherus

Maybe you should try iex -S mix instead of just iex.

h1d3r00t

h1d3r00t OP

Erlang/OTP 25 [erts-13.0.4] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [jit:ns]

** (Mix) "mix" with no arguments must be executed in a directory with a mix.exs file

Now I can see this error. How can I solve this?

h1d3r00t

h1d3r00t OP

oops. this is my mistake. I move the root path. it running well.
what is different iex -S mix and mix phx.server ?

h1d3r00t

h1d3r00t OP

I still suffering from this error.
I tried iex -S accounts.ex but It shows the same error.

** (CompileError) accounts.ex:10: Rumbl.Accounts.User.__struct__/1 is undefined, cannot expand struct Rumbl.Accounts.User. Make sure the struct name is correct. If the struct name exists and is correct but it still cannot be found, you likely have cyclic module usage in your code

I don’t know what it is. Why elixir cannot find the Rumbl.Accounts.User.

Aetherus

Aetherus

Sorry for being late to reply. I’m in China so I was sleeping when you asked the question.

iex -S mix starts an iex session with all the .ex files in the elixirc paths compiled and loaded (including the .ex files in the dependencies of your project), all the “applications” of your project started, and all the supervision trees built. But, as for a phoenix project, iex -S mix does not start the web server.

mix phx.server also compiles all the .ex files, starts, all the applications, and builds all the supervision trees. It also starts the web server, but it does not start an iex session.

If you want both, you can try iex -S mix phx.server.

There is no iex -S your_module.ex. You can start an mix-aware iex session by iex -S mix, and in that session, do whatever you want with your modules. Or, you can type mix eval '<your code>'.

h1d3r00t

h1d3r00t OP

Thank you. I solved this problem.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews