ambareesha7

ambareesha7

i stuck with this problem,

i could read the text from text-file and index it but i could not update
I’m missing something

defmodule ReadText do
  def read_text_file(file_name) do
    case File.read(file_name) do
      {:ok, text} ->
        IO.puts("slice 1: #{String.slice(text, 3..8)}")
        slice1 = IO.gets("slice 1 to replace: ")
        String.replace(text, String.slice(text, 3..8), slice1, global: false)
        IO.puts("slice 2: #{String.slice(text, 72..80)}")
        slice2 = IO.gets("slice 2 to replace: ")
        String.replace(text, String.slice(text, 72..80), slice2, global: false)
        IO.puts("slice 3: #{String.slice(text, 86..91)}")
        slice3 = IO.gets("slice 3 to replace: ")
        String.replace(text, String.slice(text, 86..91), slice3, global: false)
        IO.puts("slice 4: #{String.slice(text, 101..110)}")
        slice4 = IO.gets("slice 4 to replace: ")
        String.replace(text, String.slice(text, 101..110), slice4, global: false)

      {:error, error} ->
        IO.puts(error)
    end
  end

  def get_replaceable_indexs(file_name) do
    case File.read(file_name) do
      {:ok, text} ->
        text
        |> String.split("")
        |> Enum.with_index(fn v, i -> [i, v] end)

      {:error, error} ->
        IO.puts(error)
    end
  end

  def open(file_path) do
    File.open(file_path, [:read, :write], fn text ->
      IO.read(text, :all)
    end)
  end
end

i tried in livebook to get dynamic index for square brockets and use this index as rang in String.slice(text, 3..8) but i’m missing the logic

i highly appreciate any help
thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 10

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Values in Elixir are immutable (they cannot be changed once created) - functions like String.replace return a new binary.

You can rebind variables, however. For instance,

  text = String.replace(text, String.slice(text, 72..80), slice2, global: false

After this line, the name text will refer to the result of String.replace instead of the original input.


General note: hardcoding numerical offsets that are passed to String.slice is very likely not what the problem is really looking for. Take a look at the Regex module for a better way to find sequences like “left square bracket followed by letters followed by right square bracket” and manipulate them.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Using string slices is absolutely not what you want here. I’d tell you that you failed the interview if you showed that to me.

Look for ways to search [anything] in the source text and replace that. Regex is a good start and might even be good enough as a final solution.

ambareesha7

ambareesha7 OP

Yeah I know hard coding numbers are not the proper solution here and I have theoretical solution but struggling to implement that,

ambareesha7

ambareesha7 OP

I’m a newbie getting into programming and trying my share of struggles, I’ll learn as I practice,
I’ll try regex functions

ericgray

ericgray

If I understand the problem correctly you need to replace variable placeholders like [name] with passed in arguments. You can use a Regex to solve this but if the structure of source.txt is exactly as it appears you can also use Elixir binary pattern matching. You can recurse over a binary file and match patterns like [name] [company] [time] [salesguy].

To keep things simple you can pass in a map as an argument

  %{name: "John", company: "Google", time: "3:30pm", salesguy: "Ralph"},

Now with binary pattern matching you can use this map to replace the placeholder variables.

defmodule Replacer do

  defp template do
    Application.app_dir(:replacer, "/priv/source.txt")
  end

  def replace_text(sample_data) when is_map(sample_data) do
    template()
    |> File.read!()
    |> replace(sample_data)
  end

  defp replace(source, sample_data) do
    replace(source, sample_data, [])
  end

  defp replace("", _sample_data, acc) do
    acc
    |> Enum.reverse()
    |> IO.iodata_to_binary()
  end

  defp replace(<<"[name]", rest::binary>>, sample_data, acc) do
    name = sample_data.name
    replace(rest, sample_data, [name | acc])
  end

  defp replace(<<"[company]", rest::binary>>, sample_data, acc) do
    company = sample_data.company
    replace(rest, sample_data, [company | acc])
  end

  defp replace(<<"[time]",  rest::binary>>, sample_data, acc) do
    time = sample_data.time
    replace(rest, sample_data, [time | acc])
  end

  defp replace(<<"[salesguy]",  rest::binary>>, sample_data, acc) do
    salesguy = sample_data.salesguy
    replace(rest, sample_data, [salesguy | acc])
  end

  defp replace(<<head, rest::binary>>, sample_data, acc) do
    replace(rest, sample_data, [head | acc])
  end

end

Now in iex you can

iex(1)>  sample_data = %{name: "John", company: "Google", time: "3:30pm", salesguy: "Ralph"}
iex(2)> iex(2)> Replacer.replace_text(record)
"Hi John,\nThank you for your time in our office.\nThanks for booking at Google for 3:30pm\nRegards\nRalph\n"
ambareesha7

ambareesha7 OP

Thank you @ericgray it works and I’m trying on regex implementation,
still reading different regex and string related doc’s, articles

ericgray

ericgray

Great that’s a good way to learn. Try different things to see what works best for you. Regex patterns are good but they can be cryptic and hard to read. I think in this case where you know the shape of the data before hand binary pattern matching is easier in my opinion. Try a Regex and let us know what you come up with.

Aetherus

Aetherus

Suppose you have a map that stores the attributes you want to stuff into the template, like

attrs = %{
  "name" => "Charlie Bucket",
  "company" => "The Chocolate Factory",
  "time" => "Aug 12, 2021",
  "salesguy" => "Willy Wonka"
}

you can try

# `source` is the content read from `source.txt`
result =
  Enum.reduce(attrs, source, fn {key, value}, acc ->
    String.replace(acc, "[#{key}]", value, global: true)
  end)

or

result = 
  for {key, value} <- attrs, reduce: source do
    acc -> String.replace(acc, "[#{key}]", value, global: true)
  end
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Given attrs:

attrs = %{
  "name" => "Charlie Bucket",
  "company" => "The Chocolate Factory",
  "time" => "Aug 12, 2021",
  "salesguy" => "Willy Wonka"
}

and an input string in source, a single call to Regex.replace can do this:

Regex.replace(~r/\[([^\]]+)\]/, source, fn _, key -> attrs[key] end)

This will silently replace unrecognized keys with empty strings; use something like Map.fetch if that isn’t desired.

The regex here looks worse than it is, because square brackets are metacharacters in regex:

  • \[ matches a literal open bracket
  • ([^\]]+) captures one or more characters that aren’t a ]
  • \] matches a literal close bracket
Aetherus

Aetherus

That’s faster than my solution, I guess, since it goes through the template string only once.

If the keys contain only word characters (i.e. a to z, A to Z, numbers, and _), the regex can be simplified as

~r/\[(\w+)\]/

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews