I want to teach some Elixir. Any volunteers to be taught?

Okay. I jotted a few ideas down during my morning coffee.

I think it would be great if whatever we built could be helpful to others in the future. Whether as a tool or as a good demonstration of code.

If we build something, we’d have the source code. I’d be happy to do code walkthroughs of each part. Then we can put it on YouTube as a free series for elixir beginners. Would be cool to give back to the community in some way. I’m also happy to pay for hosting whatever we build if it’s something useful or fun for others once built.

Ideas:

I am fascinated by AI (ML, also classical) and cryptography. I’m also excited to contribute to an open source project but don’t know what projects to choose at the moment.

• an idle-style game that focuses on speed of light space travel (incorporates relativity equations into gamified idle system). (Liveview) [The Math of Idle Games, Part I]
  • Build a visual maze environment, then choose different path-finding algorithms in a radio list and watch the entity find its way while visualizing the path. [Pathfinding Visualizer]
  • Any kind of game that incorporates some type of AI. Even a chess game.
  • A multiplayer snake game. Left, right, up, down. Eat the food and grow. Try to get others to run into you, grow bigger. Could also code some AI opponents.
  • A basic, concurrent crypoanalytic library? Find a way to use distributed processes to crack basic codes. Maybe over-engineering but sounds interesting.
  • A theory of constraints production simulator (using GenStage?) (Theory of Constraints and Simulations: A framework for process optimization - HASH)
  • We could build something with edgedb, a graph database on top of postgresql. (I’m currently exploring if it’s worth using edgedb for a new project or getting comfy with ecto first.)
  • We could find an open source project to contribute to. We could also ask the forum for ideas of what projects they think would be good to contribute to!

Happy to tweak, change and remix any of the ideas. Let me know if any of those spark some interest in you.

Thank you @denispeplin !!

Edit:

Few more ideas:

Edit 2:

I’d also be very interested in building a library for visualizing/manipulating Directed Acyclic Graphs in Liveview. I find DAGs to be a extremely helpful modality especially with planning.

1 Like