krasenyp

krasenyp

This is an i3 IPC client implementation, written in Erlang, with zero dependencies. All the messages and events exposed by i3 and Sway are currently supported.

It’s a very early release but it’s fully featured. My next two priorities are improving the test coverage and extending the documentation with examples. Nevertheless, I’ll be happy to hear from early users.

Notable features

  • Variant negotiation - rudimentary capability checks but the fundamentals are ther
  • Automatic reconnection - opt-in but nice to have
  • Multiplexing - a single connection can handle request-response and out-of-band events.

Example

The following example shows how to start a client connection, subscribe to events and run commands. All using the same connection, all idiomatic OTP behaviour.

iex> {:ok, pid} = :i3_client.start_link([])
iex> {:ok, ref} = :i3_client.subscribe(pid, ["window"])
iex> {:ok, _} = :i3_client.run_command(pid, "focus right")
iex> flush()
{:i3_event, ^pid, ^ref, "window", "..."} # Pseudocode but you get the idea

Hex: i3_client | Hex
Source:

Showing Posts 1 to 6

krasenyp

krasenyp OP

I’m happy to announce that v0.2.0 was just released.

This version brings one user-facing change - first tick events, the ones received right after a subscription to tick events is made, are treated as unicast events. They used to be broadcast events, like any other type of event, but it was an incorrect behaviour. I knowingly left it that way in the initial version because it was tolerable but now it’s time for correct and predictable handling of this special kind of event.

MaxRu

MaxRu

Very cool stuff!

I’m currently also working on a client like this but for wayland protocols because i am building a WM in elixir.

Whats your use case for an i3 client in erlang?

krasenyp

krasenyp OP

I’m using the client in two places. One is my own S atstatus bar because I daily drive FreeBSD and most status bars don’t work.

The other is an integration daemon. I intercept Sway commands and, for example, depending on the currently focused window I handle the commands differently.

MaxRu

MaxRu

Very cool! How do you render the status bar to the screen? I also do have a self built status bar but currently its in python and uses gtk bindings.

From my search i did not find a great way to render this with the beam.

krasenyp

krasenyp OP

Nothing special on my side, I’m just using the swaybar protocol. I use i3_client to keep track of various pieces of state. For example, I’m subscribed to input events and update the bar accordingly whenever I change the keyboard layout.

krasenyp

krasenyp OP

I’m happy to announce that v0.3.0 was just released.

This version brings a new module - i3_client_trees which includes functions for processing i3 layout trees. Currently, it holds only two functions - table/1,2. The functions return QLC handle which allows for iterator style traversal. For example, you can very easily find the focused node:

0> QH = qlc:q([Node || #{~"focused" := true} = Node <- i3_client_trees:table(Tree)]),
1> [#{~"focused" := true}] = qlc:eval(QH).
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews