WildYorkies
I remember seeing on the Elixir subreddit a long time ago that a user was building a Discord alternative (Probably because Discord mines all data for profit and is closed source).
I doubt that project kept going (it’s quite ambitious after all).
But I wanted to open this thread to discuss ideas about how such a thing could be built.
Building a group chat application in Elixir should be fairly straightforward. However, the biggest hurdle would likely be the group audio.
I know Discord uses WebRTC (with their own enhancements), but I’ve also seen someone suggest using Mumble as the audio backend.
Thoughts?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
WildYorkies
I know there is an Elixir GUI system in the works, but for now, the obvious choice would put Elixir only as the backend and something like React Native / Proton Native as the frontend.
brightball
Plus, there’s already Mongoose from Erlang Solutions. Would be interesting to just build on top of what’s already there.
idi527
I’d use janus for webrtc.
WildYorkies
That’s a great find!
Mongoose for the chat. And something like Jitsi for the voice. That would be a much quicker bootstrap.
For the voice channels, you could instantiate an always-on jitsi room that people could join and leave as they wish.
WildYorkies
Looks even more lightweight than something like Jitsi. Thanks!
Audio room example is what it would need https://janus.conf.meetecho.com/audiobridgetest.html
idi527
Here’s an example of how to interact with janus from elixir via unix sockets. The SDP packets were sent to the elixir server via websockets, which were then relayed to janus. Making basic chats is actually already easy in erlang/elixir, I’d probably wouldn’t use mongoose …
WildYorkies
Looks like Evasyst uses Janus for their backend and is trying to be a discord alternative.
jchrist
I think the best bet would be implementing a Matrix server. It’s not necessarily the smallest project (see the spec) but in terms of functionality I think it’s great.
axelson
You might want to look into the Elixir Membrane Framework if you need to do any server-side audio processing: https://www.membraneframework.org/
WildYorkies
Chat rooms are relatively simple (and yet matrix seems to make this extremely complex).
I think the biggest hurdle is rooms that are multi-media.
In practice, most discord “servers” have text and voice channels with the same name. So when you’re in this voice channel, you type in the text channel with the same name.
I think there’s room for improvement by simply making generic multi-media rooms that are persistent only in text.
So for example, it would be like having a Jitsi meeting that is always running and users can jump in and out of seamlessly.