Ideas wanted for simulating a tactile I/O device

I’d like some ideas on simulating a tactile I/O device (Graphiti), using Phoenix and friends. The purpose of the simulator is to allow software developers to experiment with controlling a Graphiti when they don’t have an actual device on hand.

The Graphiti has a 60×40 array of independently refreshable pins, a variety of pushbuttons, etc. My notion is that all of this could be emulated using a Phoenix-based web page. For example, the pin array could be represented by an HTML table with clickable cells.

The Graphiti is normally connected to a computer using Bluetooth, HDMI, or USB (HID or VCD), but this may be largely irrelevant. In practice, it uses binary commands, sent via serial communication and mediated by a virtual communication port.

It seems like a Phoenix program should be able to set up such a port, allowing assorted client programs to talk to it instead of an actual device. However, I’m not at all sure how this should be done. Help?

-r

1 Like

For our embedded software we are using the quantum leaps framework (great stuff btw, implementing Harel statecharts and Actors in C). This framework also comes with a prototyping toolkit (which I never used)

https://www.state-machine.com/qtools/qwin.html

Maybe you take a look for some inspiration. (Or just use it, treating the pin-matrix like a display).

Doing this in Phoenix I would

(A generic prototyping toolkit in Elixir would be nice!)

2 Likes

A bit of clarification may be in order here. I think I understand how to handle the UI side of things, but I’m less sure about the virtual communication port. For example, assuming that I can use something like circuits_uart to set up a port, how do I connect this to Phoenix? ELI5…

Phoenix.PubSub?

sorry missed the ELI5 requirement.

• in LV mount subscribe to a PubSub topic. (make sure you subscribe when connected)
  • from the UART Process publish to this topic
  • LV will receive those in handle_info
  • other direction vice versa

makes sense?

1 Like

That’s a lot more helpful; thanks!

1 Like