DougReeder

DougReeder

In a project where none of the original developers are available, the central component is a Phoenix server named “reticulum” or “ret” for short. The old environment is a Kubernetes server, and I’m porting it to run using docker compose. There’s only one container running the Phoenix server. It’s currently running on elixir 1.16-otp-25 and erlang 25.3, and the dependencies are very old. (Yes, we plan to update both, but we have more acute problems currently.)

In the log, when the app is idle, I’m seeing this message all the time, with no apparent correlation with other log messages, which I don’t see in the log of the version running in Kubernetes:

[error] 

** Cannot get connection id for node :ret@reticulum

Grepping the source files for our code and the dependencies doesn’t find anything that can definitely be connected with the log message. JetBrains’ Junie LLM says

the message format `[error] ** Cannot get connection id for node :ret@reticulum` strongly
suggests it's coming from an Erlang process or an Elixir GenServer.

What should I be looking at to track down and deal with what’s happening here?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

Hi! What was the exact command that you ran?

DougReeder

DougReeder OP

grep -ri “connection id” .

found

./deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_http2.erl: ‘Connection idle longer than configuration allows.’});
./deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_http.erl: ‘Connection idle longer than configuration allows.’}).
./deps/hackney/NEWS.md:- pool: cache connection IDs

grep -ri “Cannot get” .

found no occurrences

grep -ri “node” deps/peerage

found 50 matches, none of which reference “connection id”

grep -ri “Cannot” . | grep -i “connection id”

finds no occurrences

find . -name “*.ex" -o -name "*.erl” | xargs grep -i “connection id” | grep “node”

finds no occurrences

grep -ri “connection” deps | grep “node”

finds

deps/recon/src/recon.erl:%%%         and connections currently on the node.

… and a bunch of variations on that.

jstimps

jstimps

The error appears to come from libcluster.

https://github.com/search?q=repo%3Abitwalker%2Flibcluster+cannot+get+connection+id&type=issues

Unfortunately I can’t provide more guidance as I’ve never used this library. I hope this provides a lead for you though.

Edit: for some reason I had to escape the url because the generated link was not displaying the correct issue query. Apologies to the mods.

DougReeder

DougReeder OP

Thanks, I’ll take a look!

DougReeder

DougReeder OP

I don’t know that I fully understand what’s going on, but when I changed from “Peerage.Via.Dns” to “Peerage.Via.Udp”, the warning went away. I then changed it back to “Peerage.Via.Dns” and renamed the service from “reticulum” to “ret”, and the warning also went away. :-S

The file in question is

import Config

import_config "prod.exs"

config :peerage, log_results: true, via: Peerage.Via.Dns, dns_name: "foo.bar", app_name: "foo"

config :ret, RetWeb.Router, secure?: false

config :sentry,
  environment_name: :turkey,
  json_library: Poison,
  included_environments: [:turkey],
  tags: %{
    env: "turkey"
  }

so it’s not clear to me where it’s getting the service name “ret” from.

Currently there’s only a single Phoenix node, but there may have been more than one in the original incarnation.

Thanks for your help!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews