gshaw

gshaw

What is the idiomatic way of matching for not nil in Elixir?

E.g.,

First way:
defp halt_if_not_signed_in(conn, signed_in_account) when signed_in_account != nil do

Second way:
defp halt_if_not_signed_in(conn, signed_in_account) when not is_nil(signed_in_account) do

If there is a preferred way does anybody know the reason?

Personally I prefer the first way because it reads more naturally and takes less horizontal space but examples I’ve seen have used not is_nil(...) and I am wondering why.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Personally I do:

defp halt_if_not_signed_in(conn, nil), do: :whatever
defp halt_if_not_signed_in(conn, signed_in_account) do
  ...
end

Unless you just want nil to error out, in which case I’d optimally do a precise match:

defp halt_if_not_signed_in(conn, signed_in_account) when is_binary(signed_in_account)

Or so.

fmcgeough

fmcgeough

agreed. I find using pattern matching to handle this is very readable.

I’ve helped introduce two Java engineers to Elixir and they both found this a really useful language feature, especially as they discovered some of the powerful variations of pattern matching.

As for other uses of not is_nil(val) vs val != nil I’d say just pick one and be consistent within your project. Personally not is_nil(val) is not my favorite. :slight_smile:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’m personally a fan of val != nil because nil is just an atom, so I don’t even know why it has a specialized function like is_nil/1 anyway, especially since the empty list [] is the nil value on the system, those confused me for a bit when I started Elixir (nil should have been [] as the empty list is named nil standardly, not :nil, blah).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews