Ookma-Kyi

Ookma-Kyi

I am currently enrolled in the Pragmatic Studio Elixir & OTP course and have just completed the section on module attributes. I have the following code:

defmodule Servy.Handler do
  @moduledoc "Handles HTTP requests"

  @pages_path Path.expand("../../pages", __DIR__)

  @doc "Transforms the request into a response."
  def handle(request) do
    request
    |> parse
    |> rewrite_path
    |> log
    |> route
    |> track
    |> format_response
  end

  def emojify(%{status: 200} = conv) do
    body = ":) " <> conv.resp_body <> " :)"
    %{conv | resp_body: body}
  end

  def emojify(conv), do: conv

  def track(%{status: 404, path: path} = conv) do
    IO.puts("Warning: #{path} is on the loose!")
    conv
  end

  @doc "Logs 404 requests"
  def track(conv), do: conv

  def rewrite_path(%{path: "/wildlife"} = conv) do
    %{conv | path: "/wildthings"}
  end

  def rewrite_path(%{path: "/bears?id=" <> id} = conv) do
    %{conv | path: "/bears/#{id}"}
  end

  def rewrite_path(conv), do: conv

  def log(conv), do: IO.inspect(conv)

  def parse(request) do
    # TODO Parse the request string into a map
    [method, path, _] =
      request
      |> String.split("\n")
      |> List.first()
      |> String.split(" ")

    %{method: method, path: path, resp_body: "", status: nil}
  end

  def route(%{method: "GET", path: "/wildthings"} = conv) do
    %{conv | status: 200, resp_body: "Bears, Lions, Tigers"}
  end

  def route(%{method: "GET", path: "/bears"} = conv) do
    %{conv | status: 200, resp_body: "Teddy, Smokey, Paddington"}
  end

  def route(%{method: "GET", path: "/bears/new"} = conv) do
    @pages_path
    |> Path.join("form.html")
    |> File.read()
    |> handle_file(conv)
  end

  def route(%{method: "GET", path: "/bears/" <> id} = conv) do
    %{conv | status: 200, resp_body: "Bear #{id}"}
  end

  def route(%{method: "GET", path: "/pages/" <> file} = conv) do
    Path.expand("../../pages", __DIR__)
    |> Path.join(file <> ".html")
    |> File.read()
    |> handle_file(conv)
  end

  def route(%{method: "GET", path: "/about"} = conv) do
    Path.expand("../../pages", __DIR__)
    |> Path.join("about.html")
    |> File.read()
    |> handle_file(conv)
  end

  def route(%{method: "DELETE", path: "/bears/" <> _id} = conv) do
    %{conv | status: 403, resp_body: "Deleting a bear is forbidden!"}
  end

  def route(%{path: path} = conv) do
    %{conv | status: 404, resp_body: "No #{path} here"}
  end

  def handle_file({:ok, content}, conv) do
    %{conv | status: 200, resp_body: content}
  end

  def handle_file({:error, :enoent}, conv) do
    %{conv | status: 404, resp_body: "File not found"}
  end

  def handle_file({:error, reason}, conv) do
    %{conv | status: 500, resp_body: "File Error: #{reason}"}
  end

  def format_response(conv) do
    # TODO: Use values in the map to create an HTTP response string:
    """
    HTTP/1.1 #{conv.status} #{status_reason(conv.status)}
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: #{byte_size(conv.resp_body)}

    #{conv.resp_body}
    """
  end

  defp status_reason(code) do
    %{
      200 => "OK",
      201 => "Created",
      401 => "Unauthorized",
      403 => "Forbidden",
      404 => "Not Found",
      500 => "Internal Server Error"
    }[code]
  end
end

request = """
GET /wildthings HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
User-Agent: ExampleBrowser/1.0
Accept: */*

"""

response = Servy.Handler.handle(request)

IO.puts(response)

request = """
GET /bears HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
User-Agent: ExampleBrowser/1.0
Accept: */*

"""

response = Servy.Handler.handle(request)

IO.puts(response)

request = """
GET /bigfoot HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
User-Agent: ExampleBrowser/1.0
Accept: */*

"""

response = Servy.Handler.handle(request)

IO.puts(response)

request = """
GET /bears/1 HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
User-Agent: ExampleBrowser/1.0
Accept: */*

"""

response = Servy.Handler.handle(request)

IO.puts(response)

request = """
GET /wildlife HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
User-Agent: ExampleBrowser/1.0
Accept: */*

"""

response = Servy.Handler.handle(request)

IO.puts(response)

request = """
GET /bears?id=1 HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
User-Agent: ExampleBrowser/1.0
Accept: */*

"""

response = Servy.Handler.handle(request)

IO.puts(response)

request = """
GET /about HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
User-Agent: ExampleBrowser/1.0
Accept: */*

"""

response = Servy.Handler.handle(request)

IO.puts(response)

request = """
GET /bears/new HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
User-Agent: ExampleBrowser/1.0
Accept: */*

"""

response = Servy.Handler.handle(request)

IO.puts(response)

However, when I try to see the generated documentation as an exercise, I get an error:


Any ideas?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

garrison

garrison

Someone else can probably give you a more detailed answer but I think the problem here is that you are running a script (.exs file). Scripts as I understand are only compiled into memory so there’s no beam file on disk to read the docs from.

Ookma-Kyi

Ookma-Kyi OP

Actually, it’s an .ex file (executable).

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

To be clear, .ex is not an executable, it’s just an elixir file. .beam are the bytecode files.

In short, modules in iex are loaded into memory so not compiled with docs. I’m not sure if there is a way to do so or not. If you have a mix project, though, and load it in with iex -S mix then you’ll be able to use h.

garrison

garrison

How are you compiling it? If you are doing c("handler.ex") in iex it still defaults to in-memory regardless of whether it’s a .exs file.

garrison

garrison

Looks like c/2 accepts a path as the second argument.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Oh neat! They’ve thought of everything :sweat_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews