Gonza

Gonza

Hey, I’m thinking about migrating a NodeJS backend to Ash. It’s one of those times in the life of a project where you start to think a full rewrite would be cheaper and better than fixing everything that’s been breaking up along the way.
Anyways, I was exploring a little the new Igniter project, and it got me thinking: is it a crazy idea if I try to replicate the old API surface via generators? It is a pretty standard REST interface with just a handful of main routes.
I know there’s going to be a lot of manual work migrating the actual core of the app and all the business rules, but the contract with the frontend clients is the one thing that must not change. Is this a good use case for using Igniter?
The general idea is to:

  1. Create and/or update a comprehensive OpenAPI spec of the entire existing backend
  2. Infer from there what the new resources should look like and transform this into Igniter commands (can probably be automated to a degree)
  3. Run the generators and let them create my resources and actions for each
  4. Fill all gaps with actual implementation details
  5. Profit?

Am I making sense here, or did I fundamentally misunderstand what codegen in Ash does and looks like?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Something like this is definitely possible. It is a big effort, and hard to say if it’s a good idea or not, I imagine it depends a lot on your domains. One difficulty may be the fact that Ash codegen tasks that you can use with igniter are not comprehensive by any means. They are made to produce useful starter points.

However, there are utilities you can all, like Ash.Resource.Igniter.add_new_action etc. to iteratively build up a resource, but those have basically been added over time as I’ve needed them.

The biggest challenge you may face realistically is that ash_json_api is primarily designed to help users create new JSON:API spec-compliant APIs. It is not necessarily designed to make building an API to an arbitrarily structured spec. You can absolutely write arbitrary API endpoints, generally by using generic actions, but you do end up hand-rolling some logic yourself if you do that.

Something worth pointing out is that if there is “just a handful of main routes”, you may not need to bother w/ all the fancy magic.

Not really a cohesive answer for you, but maybe some food for thought :laughing: Selfishly I love the idea of having something designed to reverse engineer API endpoints into an equivalent-ish internal resource structure and then allowing users to write in their own app logic. Sounds like a useful tool :smile:

Gonza

Gonza OP

Thanks! Yes, the old code looks standard-ish, but that’s obviously not the same as spec-compliant.
Still, now that I know it’s not a completely crazy idea, I might give it a try, even if just to learn how to work with generators. Thanks again!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews