lawik

lawik

Nerves Core Team

This is definitely mostly about Igniter, incidentally about Nerves and Phoenix.

Both of those projects have generators that create a mix project. The convention in Nerves is a “poncho” project, that is, not quite an umbrella. You put Phoenix as thing_ui and Nerves as thing_firmware.

The firmware project puts the UI project as a path dependency. You copy and modify a ton of Phoenix config over the the firmware project. Then you run locally or compile firmware for your device from the firmware project.

I want to make a generator that does this all for you. It seems like igniter would be very helpful for patching config and such. But I’m uncertain if the --with approach works here for igniter.new and to what extent Igniter helps for this journey. I am fundamentally generating two separate mix projects and tying them together a bit.

Showing Posts 1 to 8

lawik

lawik OP

Nerves Core Team

@zachdaniel what is more helpful around Igniter, ask question in Ash forum or ping you? :smiley:

Cause I didn’t see a space to put this in that made sense that you’d see :slight_smile:

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

We’ve got an “igniter” channel in the ash discord, but here is good too! I’ve updated my notification settings so I get pinged on igniter tagged posts going forward, thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

So, to answer your question:

the current state of the world is that igniter.new very much expects to create a mix project at the moment. Another fundamental (current) limitation of igniter is that it expects to be run in the context of a single mix project (but you could read/add files from external to the project)

I think we could actually potentially build some kind of first class support for poncho projects into igniter.new or igniter.new_poncho even. But barring that, it would probably look something like this:

mkdir poncho
cd poncho 
mix igniter.new thing --with phx.new --install ....
mix igniter.new thing_firmware --install your,packages

Then depending on how the installer is packaged, you might just include your_installer in the list of packages being installed, or you’d add another call to something like mix nerves.create_and_copy_phoenix_app.

lawik

lawik OP

Nerves Core Team

My current thinking is to not make it a poncho in the end. But this still means juggling and merging between two generators :slight_smile:

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

:thinking: When you say not to make it a poncho in the end what do you mean? Maybe we can hop on a call some time and talk about what you’re looking to do?

lawik

lawik OP

Nerves Core Team

On vacation right now but can holler when I get goong on this.

Essentially I want to generate a Nerves mix project and a Phoenix mix project and then use igniter to work out ways to merge files that exist in both (such as config, mix.exs).

mayel

mayel

On a similar note, our poncho project uses plain text files to specify deps instead of placing them in mix.exs as we found that easier to programmatically edit but also makes it more composable (we can have different deps source files that are included or not based on env or compile flags). This works by including a short script with Code.eval_file("mess.exs") in mix.exs

Given that context, I’d love a way to be able to use igniter.install in the project, maybe with an escape hatch to call another function instead of Igniter.apply_and_fetch_dependencies ?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Igniter has a .igniter.exs file that can be used to configure these things, or we can try to detect things like this, but it definitely won’t work out of the box. Interested in exploring the idea though :+1:

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I wonder if it would first make sense to start by creating an igniter-powered version of mix phx.new and mix nerves.new, then you could adapt those to be able to work together (possibly within a single project) or work in a poncho fashion. Although maybe that’s what you have in mind already.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews