BryanJBryce

BryanJBryce

A good example of Igniter failing silently is if you copy the Igniter command line install command from this tutorial there’s probably some kind of fancy rich text formatting happening or something and neither the example code nor the Phoenix install occur, but Igniter only exits silently, it doesn’t say anything about aborting or not

https://medium.com/@lambert.kamaro/how-to-build-a-saas-using-phoenix-and-ash-framework-1-4-69f3a622470d

Showing Posts 1 to 3

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

…I feel like I’m missing something obvious. I can tell that when I delete the some of those characters and retype them that it works…I don’t know if this is something igniter has anything to say about though. I think, to igniter, it’s just not getting any CLI arguments, and mix igniter.new helpdesk is a valid command that has that effect. So it’s not actually failing, it’s just not seeing those subsequent args. What on earth is going on there :laughing:

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Hmm…this is weird.

Given a simple alias:

  defp aliases do
    [
      foo: [
        fn x ->
          IO.inspect(x)

          :ok
        end
      ]
    ]
  end

that prints out its argv, if you do:

mix foo helpdesk \ --install ash,ash_postgres \ --with phx.new \ --extend postgres \ --example 

it prints out:

["helpdesk", " --install", "ash,ash_postgres", " --with", "phx.new",
 " --extend", "postgres", " --example"]

notice the extra spaces at the head of the flags. This feels like some strange behavior of \?

If I add some OptionParser code in that alias:

OptionParser.parse!(x, strict: [install: :string])

it does not work if it gets a flag with a leading space. So I’m pretty sure thats why it also doesn’t work in igniter.

@kamaroly I think you should update the instructions in your post to use newlines after the \ or just remove the \ as they are only used in our examples to separate a task over multiple lines.

@josevalim This could be fixed in OptionParser or Mix also? Like should OptionParser or Mix trim leading whitespace? Or just OptionParser be adjusted to ignore leading whitespace?

kamaroly

kamaroly

Nice Catch!

I just updated the article as recommended by @zachdaniel. I didn’t test it, but from the look of things. It should work.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews