smon

smon

The International Image Interoperability Framework describes itself:

IIIF is a set of open standards for delivering high-quality, attributed digital objects online at scale. It’s also an international community developing and implementing the IIIF APIs. IIIF is backed by a consortium of leading cultural institutions.

This plug implements the most basic of these standards: The image API (version 3). The official IIIF documentation does a good job of describing the API in detail, so here just a small example.

The basic API syntax is

{scheme}://{server}{/prefix}/{identifier}/{region}/{size}/{rotation}/{quality}.{format}

An example based on the plug’s sample image in development would be:

http://127.0.0.1:4000/bentheim.tif/full/max/0/default.jpg

Which would give me a jpg (see the format) version of the original tif:

Now I can change the region, size, rotation, quality and format parameters in my query. The following query will:

  • select a part of the image
    – left: 700 pixel
    – top: 500 pixel
    – width: 520 pixel
    – height: 520 pixel
  • scale the image to 89% of its original size
  • flip the image (!) and then rotate it by 53°
  • make the image bitonal
  • return the image as png
http://127.0.0.1:4000/bentheim.tif/700,500,520,520/pct:89/!53/bitonal.png

The result:

There exist several generic Javascript IIIF viewers that utilize this API to allow for optimized viewing (dynamic loading of parts of the image data based on zoom level/viewport).

WebGIS Javascript libraries like leaflet or OpenLayers support IIIF in one way or the other.

The image processing is handled by libvips via Vix.

See iiif_image_plug | Hex

https://github.com/dainst/iiif_image_plug

Showing Posts 1 to 3

smon

smon OP

The library is now at version 0.5.0, there is one major question I am still unsure about. Maybe somebody here has some insight:

I have currently defined callback functions as plug parameters to allow the library users’ to inject some of their logic. The primary example would be the identifier_to_path_callback, which allows the plug to construct a filesystem path for a given identifier.

Is this the best way to do it? It seems to me that callbacks are a black box for language servers, you will not get any feedback if your provided callback does implement arity, parameters or return values expected by the plug.

Is meta programming the way to go? The counter argument would be: The callbacks are currently quite simple, so meta programming could introduce quite some complexity on the plug’s code side that is not worth the trade off.

I am currently experimenting with the library while rewriting publication platform for archaeological excavations. This is still in an alpha, besides the IIIF stuff I am also experimenting with LiveView Hooks for OpenLayers, and other stuff - so this link might not work from time to time: https://publication.field.test.idai.world/projects/bourgou/2024-05-14/de/86787076-5253-4071-b1ad-b2644506974d

The platform itself is open source: GitHub

smon

smon OP

As hinted in the last update, I rewrote the library utilizing the __using__ makro, which feels way better from a usability standpoint: Overview — IIIFImagePlug v1.0.1

Please poke at it and see if anything breaks or is missing. :wink:

smon

smon OP

Just released version 1.0.0.

Big thanks to everyone who provided feedback/additions. :folded_hands:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews