ZastrixArundell

ZastrixArundell

Hi there!

I was super hyped when I heard Phoenix 1.6 dropped anything to do with Node! Saves such headaches, but I instantly got a new headache after that…

I’m trying to load an image into my assets/css/app.css. The image itself is stored in priv/static/images/background.jpg.

I want to note that I can access the image wile going to http://localhost:4000/images/background.jpgand using

When I try to use background-image: url('/images/background.jpg'); I get the following error:

[watch] build started (change: "css/app.css")
 > css/app.css:19:26: error: Could not resolve "/images/background.jpg"
    19 │     background-image: url('/images/background.jpg');
       ╵                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 error
[watch] build finished

Then I did try to put a relative path: background-image: url('../../priv/static/images/background.jpg'); and I got this error:

[watch] build started (change: "css/app.css")
 > css/app.css:19:26: error: No loader is configured for ".jpg" files: ../priv/static/images/background.jpg
    19 │     background-image: url('../../priv/static/images/background.jpg');
       ╵                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 error
[watch] build finished

Is there something I need to configure first in order for esbuild to look at my images?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

thomas.fortes

thomas.fortes

Yes, the external file loader is disabled by default on esbuild.

You can pass the loader to the watcher config in dev.exs

  watchers: [
    # Start the esbuild watcher by calling Esbuild.install_and_run(:default, args)
    esbuild: {Esbuild, :install_and_run, [:default, ~w(--sourcemap=inline --watch --loader:.jpg=file)]},
  ]
ZastrixArundell

ZastrixArundell OP

It has some weird behaviour. I have added this but I still get an error:

 > css/app.css:23:26: error: No loader is configured for ".jpg" files: ../priv/static/images/background.jpg
    23 │     background-image: url("../../priv/static/images/background.jpg");
       ╵                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

iex(1)> 1 error

Though it does actually render it. But when I try mix assets.deploy it just exists with status code 1.

 > css/app.css:23:26: error: No loader is configured for ".jpg" files: ../priv/static/images/background.jpg
    23 │     background-image: url("../../priv/static/images/background.jpg");
       ╵                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 error
** (Mix) `mix esbuild default --minify` exited with 1

Edit:

Also when I start the server I do have a file: priv/static/assets/background-AWF52KCK.jpg.

thomas.fortes

thomas.fortes

For the first error, have you restarted the server? dev.exs isn’t reloaded when you change it, so you need to stop and restart the server, if it doesn’t work I have no idea…

For the second one, mix assets.deploy is configured in the mix.exs file, pass the loader to the alias there and it should fix it.

defp aliases do
  [
    setup: ["deps.get"],
    "assets.deploy": ["esbuild default --minify --loader:.jpg=file", "phx.digest"]
  ]
end   
ZastrixArundell

ZastrixArundell OP

Actually it works. Looks like I didn’t actually comment out the previous line but kept it so the issue spawned on the first one but the second one worked (4am yay!).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews