anagrom_ataf
When it comes to implementing callbacks of a behaviour (e.g., GenServer) I always struggle whether I should add the @impl-attribute to all function clauses or just to the first.
def Worker do
use GenServer
@impl true
def handle_call(:foo, from, state) do
# ..
end
@impl true
def handle_call(:bar, from, state) do
# ..
end
end
What do you think? What are the pros and cons of one way or the other?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sodapopcan
Only the first one is necessary.
Marcus
Hello, I just add
@impl truejust to the first function. The benefit of@implis to get warnings from the compiler and this will be reached with one annotation.sodapopcan
It’s worth noting that another benefit of
@implis to signal to the programmer that something is, indeed, a callback implementation. This isn’t as apparent in something as ubiquitous as a GenServer, but when reading a module implementing a less well-known or custom behaviour, this is really nice-to-have info.brettbeatty
It’s a little weird, but my personal style is to put the
@implon a standalone function head (when defining multiple clauses for the function).I guess in my mind it suggests I’m about to define multiple clauses for the same function as opposed to recognizing multiple definitions happen to be for the same function.
anagrom_ataf
Thanks for your feedback.