Zachareee
Hi, I have a usecase for retrieving Postgrex.INET structs from my repo (I will only be reading not writing), however no matter what I do, some error gets thrown
hachiware | ** (Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol Jason.Encoder not implemented for type Postgrex.INET (a struct), Jason.Encoder protocol must always be explicitly implemented.
hachiware |
hachiware | If you own the struct, you can derive the implementation specifying which fields should be encoded to JSON:
hachiware |
hachiware | @derive {Jason.Encoder, only: […]}
hachiware | defstruct …
hachiware |
hachiware | It is also possible to encode all fields, although this should be used carefully to avoid accidentally leaking private information when new fields are added:
hachiware |
hachiware | @derive Jason.Encoder
hachiware | defstruct …
hachiware |
hachiware | Finally, if you don’t own the struct you want to encode to JSON, you may use Protocol.derive/3 placed outside of any module:
hachiware |
hachiware | Protocol.derive(Jason.Encoder, NameOfTheStruct, only: […])
hachiware | Protocol.derive(Jason.Encoder, NameOfTheStruct)
hachiware |
hachiware |
hachiware | Got value:
hachiware |
hachiware | %Postgrex.INET{address: {0, 0, 0, 0}, netmask: 0}
hachiware |
hachiware | (jason 1.4.4) lib/jason.ex:164: Jason.encode!/2
hachiware | (hachiware 0.1.0) lib/hachiware/sse/connection_implementation.ex:11: Hachiware.Sse.ConnectionImplementation.send/1
hachiware | (hachiware 0.1.0) lib/hachiware/poller/runner.ex:20: anonymous fn/5 in Hachiware.Poller.Runner.run/1
hachiware | (elixir 1.18.4) lib/agent/server.ex:23: Agent.Server.handle_call/3
hachiware | (stdlib 7.1) gen_server.erl:2470: :gen_server.try_handle_call/4
hachiware | (stdlib 7.1) gen_server.erl:2499: :gen_server.handle_msg/3
hachiware | (stdlib 7.1) proc_lib.erl:333: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
After trying the Protocol.derive recommendation, it now says that Jason.Encoder is not implemented for type Tuple, I’m wondering if anyone has also experienced this and if there is any workaround to get this to work
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
The issue there is that how you’re encoding it attempts to just encode each key and value. You should not use
@derive, but fully implement the protocol for it withdefimpl. Even better would be to make a custom type to wrap that, which casts it to a struct that you control, and implement the protocol for that struct.Zachareee
Hey SFLR, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, here is the code I wrote to parse the Postgrex.INET struct for anyone else who may stumble across this thread