stevensonmt

stevensonmt

In most cases Elixir and Erlang intrinsically moving to BigInt is remarkably helpful and satisfying to work with, so I know this exercise is academic. Still if I wanted to work with integers as if they were restricted to signed 32-bit integers, how would I handle overflow/wrapping?
I’m thinking the easiest way is working with integers as binaries, something like:

x = Integer.pow(2, 32) - 1
<<x:32>> # returns <<255, 255, 255, 255>>
y = 1
<<y:32>> # returns <<0, 0, 0, 1>>

If I try to do <<(x + y)::32>> I’ll get <<0, 0, 0, 0>>. What’s the best way to capture that overflow digit?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

hauleth

hauleth

You want to capture overflow or to have wrapping addition? Because in wrapping addition 0xFFFF_FFFF + 1 == 0 not 1.

stevensonmt

stevensonmt OP

Imprecise wording on my part, sorry. I meant how do I convert <<0,0,0,0>> (or whatever the wrapped result is) back to an integer.

x = Integer.pow(2, 32) - 1
<<x:32>> # returns <<255, 255, 255, 255>>
y = 1
<<y:32>> # returns <<0, 0, 0, 1>>
z = <<(x + y)::32>> # returns <<0, 0, 0, 0>>

Is there a better way to get z into integer form without iterating over the binary as a list and reducing?

akash-akya

akash-akya

If you want to treat bitstring as an unsigned-integer, and by default it will be an unsigned integer if we dont specify anything.

<<z::32>> = <<(x + y)::32>> # z = 0
<<z::32>> = <<(Integer.pow(2, 32)-1)::32>> # z = 4294967295

But from your original description, it seems like you are interested in signed integer. For that it will be

<<z::signed-integer-size(32)>> = <<(x + y)::32>> # z = 0
<<z::signed-integer-size(32)>> = <<(Integer.pow(2, 32)-1)::32>> # z = -1
hauleth

hauleth

Bitwise.band/2

lud

lud

maybe with binary:decode_unsigned

hauleth

hauleth

Earlier I was on mobile, now I can expand.

Addition of two N-bit integers can result with at most (N+1)-bit integer. So as we are adding 32-bit integers then we will end with at most 33-bit result. That will give us the knowledge to achieve what we want:

defmodule Carry do
  @u32_max 2 ** 32 - 1

  import Bitwise

  def add_u32(a, b) do
    r = a + b
    {r &&& @u32_max, (r >>> 32) == 1}
  end
end

a = 0xFFFF_FFFF
b = 1

{result, carry} = Carry.add_u32(a, b)

IO.puts("#{a} + #{b} = #{result} (carried? #{carry})")
#=> 4294967295 + 1 = 0 (carried? true)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews