samgaw

samgaw

I’m working on a small library to scratch a current itch involving IP addresses & network subnetting that gives me a more structured datatype (a struct) after parsing a string or tuple.

While trying to improve it and make it nicer to work with, I started experimenting with deimpl Enumerable and managed to get things functional. However to do that, I ended up introducing a hidden key much like __struct__. Which then led me into deimpl Inspect in order to hide the new key and now I’m at a bit of a cross roads trying to balance two separate needs.

The struct I’m working with looks like:

%CIDR{
  first: {172, 16, 0, 0},
  last: {172, 31, 255, 255},
  prefix: 12,
  hosts: 1048576,
  version: :v4
}

And I get that using:

defimpl Inspect, for: CIDR do
  def inspect(%module{} = network, opts \\ []) do
    filtered = Map.drop(network, [:__enum__, :__struct__])
    Inspect.Map.inspect(filtered, Code.Identifier.inspect_as_atom(module), opts)
  end
end

Reading that in the console standalone is perfect because I can quickly scan and grab whatever information I need from it. But if I’m looking at a list of maps, and the struct is the value of a key in each, it becomes a lot of noise.

To suppress things a bit I had a look at sigils and ended up implementing one which meant I was able to do:

defimpl Inspect, for: CIDR do
  import Inspect.Algebra
  def inspect(network, _opts), do: concat(["~n\"", CIDR.to_string(network) , "\""])
end

That’s perfect when it’s used as a datatype in a map or struct but I lose the convenience of seeing the struct in cases like:

iex> CIDR.parse("10.0.0.0/8")
~n"10.0.0.0/8"

It may be asking for a lot but is there anything contextual in Inspect that would allow me to use the short form when it’s a nested value but the long form when it’s the parent structure displayed?

Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

fuelen

fuelen

:custom_options key in https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/master/Inspect.Opts.html probably is what you are looking for

lud

lud

Hi,

I don’t think that could be automatic but you could use the inspect options for that:

defmodule Test do
  defmodule CIDR do
    defstruct a: nil, b: nil, c: nil
  end

  def test do
    t = %CIDR{a: 1, b: 2, c: 3}

    IO.inspect(t)
    IO.inspect(t, pretty: true)
  end
end

defimpl Inspect, for: Test.CIDR do
  def inspect(%Test.CIDR{a: a, b: b, c: c} = t, %Inspect.Opts{pretty: true}) do
    "#CIDR<#{a}/#{b}/#{c}>"
  end

  def inspect(%Test.CIDR{a: a, b: b, c: c} = t, _) do
    "#CIDR<#{a}>"
  end
end

Test.test()
#CIDR<1>
#CIDR<1/2/3>

You can also use custom options, or other options from Inspect.Opts.

Of course that would still be up to you to pass or not the option that would change the result. Options will be passed down to your implementation from the implementation for lists.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews