bentanweihao

bentanweihao

Author of The Little Elixir and OTP Guidebook

I wrote a new post detailing how to implement parallel comprehension using macros. Would love any comments and improvements!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Ooh! This is a lot of fun!

Awesome idea! :smiley:

bentanweihao

bentanweihao OP

Author of The Little Elixir and OTP Guidebook

Yes it was! And very mind-bending in a very good way.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Probably would be good to give the para an argument to specify the number of processes to run in, defaulting to the cpu count (*2?) or so? As it is it is going to create a lot of processes, and will probably cause a speed hit in almost every case as the do: body is generally very simple (like {a, b, c} in your example) and all the work happens in the iteration and filters?

Very nice article though, shows how macros work and how to use them. :slight_smile:

bentanweihao

bentanweihao OP

Author of The Little Elixir and OTP Guidebook

Thanks! You are right, it would be good to have an upperbound on the number of processes. Another thing is that it doesn’t support :into. But that should be an easy fix. :smiley:

TheMaikXX

TheMaikXX

Hello,
I’d like to ask point something in the code in the post..

In the macro, you use me = self but it is called inside macro’s body, not quote do... block. It will be evaluated at compile-time. In order to mitigate this, it would need to be updated like this:

# 7. Collect the results
    quote do
      # here
      var!(me) = self()

      unquote(pids)
      |> Enum.map(fn pid ->
        receive do
          {^pid, result} ->
            result
        end
      end)
    end

and then used inside alternate for do block:

# 3. Wrap the do block around a spawn. Send the result to the
      #    current process.
      spawn_do_block = quote do

        # here
        spawn(fn -> send(var!(me), {self, unquote(do_block)}) end)
      end

When I tried to use your approach in a project that is being compiled it indeed showed the difference. Your code evaludated PID of process that was compiling the module rather than getting the PID of the module that was executing the code in the runtime.. I observed that this works when the module is pasted into iex is this was also the process to compile it (I suppose) but in the actual project, the compiler process and runtime process differ..

PS: You could also exclude the use of var!/1 but you would need to call self before spawn for each iteration which might bring unnecessary calls (I suppose it is not that much of an overhead.. but still..

I know it is an old thread but it is still searchable in google, so I thought it might be good to point this out..

Anyway, nice example of Macro.prewalk..

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews