mguimas
Hello.
Suppose we have a file with this code
import ImportMe
defmodule AModule do
use UseMe
end
where the modules above are defined in another file like this
defmodule ImportMe do
def bar, do: :ok
end
defmodule UseMe do
defmacro __using__(_opts) do
quote do
def foo, do: bar()
def bar(), do: :ok
end
end
end
The compilation of these two files produces the imported ImportMe.bar/0 conflicts with local function error in the first file.
Is this something that should be reported as a bug or not?
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Why would it be a bug? You clearly have two functions named
baravailable in the same scope. What if you change the order of your functions to:What should is call in that case? It’s not clear.
mguimas
Switching the order of the definitions inside
UseMegenerates the same compilation error.The modules
ImportMeandUseMeare not freely composable (i.e., some uses result in a compilation error).If the modules are the responsibility of the same team, then things are easy to solve (just rename the functions).
But if the modules come from disparate teams, then the developer must use
ImportMe.bar/0qualified.A similar situation results when trying to
use Aanduse B, andAandBdefine the same named function with the same arity.This might be an unintended limitation with macros, or something that one must live with, hence my question.
LostKobrakai
I’m not really sure how this is related to macros at all. You have two different functions named the same in the same scope. That’s not going to work well. The compiler cannot decide for you which of the two ones it’s supposed to call. How those named functions ended up in the same scope shouldn’t make any difference.
mguimas
This is related to macros because it relates to injecting definitions in a scope where the same definition already exists.
This is breaking macro hygiene: more specifically, if injecting a variable is not a problem, then injecting a definition should not be a problem too. (See macro hygiene).
NobbZ
:onlyand:exceptoptions are available forimport, you can use them to steer the compiler in the right direction.But if you want hygiene for macro defined functions as you have them for variables, fine. You made macros useless, as from now on funtions defined in a macro don’t leak the macro anymore!
mguimas
I was almost going to agree with this, but then I remembered that the injected functions are accessible through the
AModuleinterface. So macros do not become useless.NobbZ
When you are in
AModule, there is no difference betweenbarandAModule.bar.Just cope with it. Calling a macro is the same as copy and pasting code into your file. If you do not want a function
fgenerated, then do not call the macro.If you do not want to import a function
g, then:excludeit from the import list.That aside, I have a very strict opinion about libraries narrowing my own available namespace by dumping arbitrary functions into my module. But I think we already argued about this a lot in the slack…
LostKobrakai
To add to that: The best way to have independency is to not use a single module. That way macros cannot conflict with each other.
mguimas
I never observed this before, it just happened now by chance, so that discussion in Slack was not with me.
Yep, avoiding
importis the way to go in this situation, as mentioned above, and solves your concerns regarding limiting your namespace.