7rans

7rans

I have a helper module for importing that I want to split into two modules and import the first into the second (so I can reuse the first). Basically:

defmodule DataHelpers do
  def foo(), do: ...
end

defmodule ViewHelpers do
  import DataHelpers
end

defmodule SomeOtherModule do
  import ViewHelpers
end

I get an error that foo() is not defined in SomeOtherModule.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hi @7rans, I think you’re confused about what import does. When you import DataHelpers inside of ViewHelpers you allow code inside of ViewHelpers to refer to functions inside DataHelpers to call functions from DataHelpers without specifying the module. What it does not do is copy or add those functions into DataHelpers.

If you want both of those helpers in SomeOtherModule you’ll need to import both modules.

lud

lud

You could do this:

defmodule DataHelpers do
    def foo() do
      # ...
    end
  end

  defmodule ViewHelpers do
    defmacro __using__(_) do
      quote do
        import DataHelpers
      end
    end
  end

  defmodule SomeOtherModule do
    use ViewHelpers
  end

But it is only interesting if useing ViewHelpers will import multiple modules, otherwise it is just useless indirection.

7rans

7rans OP

I take it this has to do with “lexical scoping”, and that makes sense.

From a usability standpoint, it might be nice if there were a way to have “pass-it-on” imports (would that be private vs public imports?). Just a thought.

Thanks for the explanation.

7rans

7rans OP

Thanks for the workaround. So far I’ve been able to get on without it. But it’s nice to know the way if I need it.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews