Raggaer

Raggaer

I am currently trying to import a .sql file containing database tables on an Ecto migration, basically my Phoenix application adds some extra funcionality to the given database, so I need to import it:

defmodule XXX.Repo.Migrations.XXX do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    execute File.read!("schema.sql")
  end
end

However the migration fails, complaining its not valid SQL, the migration success if my .sql file only contains one table to create, when I add more the syntax fails for some reason…

The file is valid SQL and it works just fine doing “mysql -u root -p XX < file.sql” or even copy/paste into terminal. This is the file I am trying to import https://hastebin.com/zifosewayi.sql

Showing Posts 1 to 5

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

No clue why it’s failing – I think I remember it only accepts one SQL statement but I wouldn’t bet my life on it.

One thing you could try is splitting the SQL at the ; delimiter and then loop over the results and execute them one by one?

John-Goff

John-Goff

You could also use the --dump-path option for mix ecto.load — Ecto SQL v3.14.0, doesn’t fully solve the problem of rerunning it. But I personally set up an alias in my mix.exs to run our “base” SQL file and then migrations after that.

Raggaer

Raggaer OP

That seems to work, strange limitation, thank you

Raggaer

Raggaer OP

I will try that approach, my problem was indeed rerunning but just modifying the flow of ecto.reset should be enough for me, thank you

hauleth

hauleth

It is limitation of prepared statements which are used internally in Ecto. This is security measure among other things.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews