lessless

lessless

I have this challenge of importing (downloading and saving) paginate data.

Currently I’m doing it recursively in a workflow step and I think it’s safe because if it will crash (f. ex. due to remote api error).

I designed this code to resume from the last known transaction on the first fetch, so it should also resume from the last saved transaction in a case of a crash

   def insert(account_id) do
    Workflow.new()
    |> Workflow.put_context(%{account_id: account_id})
    |> Workflow.add_cascade(:trigger_sync, &trigger_sync/1, queue: :transactions_sync)
    |> Workflow.add_cascade(:import, &import_txs/1,
      deps: [:trigger_sync],
      queue: :transactions_sync
    )
    |> Oban.insert_all()
  end

  def import_txs(%{account_id: account_id}) do
    account = BankAccount.by_id(account_id)
    import_txs(account.finexer_id, account)
  end

  def import_txs(%{paging: %{next: nil}}, _account) do
    :ok
  end

  def import_txs(source, account) do
    {:ok, txs_resp} = download_transactions(source, account)
    {_, _} = save_transactions(txs_resp, account)
    import_txs(txs_resp, account)
  end

  def download_transactions(finexer_id, account) when is_binary(finexer_id) do
    APIClient.account_transactions(finexer_id, [{:"timestamp.gte", Transaction.account_checkpoint(account_id)}])
  end

  def download_transactions(txs_resp, _account) when is_map(txs_resp) do
    APIClient.account_transactions(txs_resp, :next_page)
  end

  defp save_transactions(txs_resp, account) do
    txs_resp
    |> Map.get(:data)
    |> Transaction.bulk_import(account)
  end

As a matter of curiosity I wonder if workflows design can support replacing downloading paginated data by dynamically adding jobs.

For example import_txs can import first page, check if there is more (txs_resp.page.next != nil) and then schedule next job with %{source: txs_resp.page.next} as an argument.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

That design should work. There’s no “finished” state for a workflow, so you can always append another job. Did you give that a try?

lessless

lessless OP

I haven’t yet. I just don’t have enough understanding of Oban to put together a working solution.
I guess the shortest path to that would be to call add_cascade instead of import_txs inside import_txs/2.



def insert(account_id)
  Workflow.new(id: @sync_workflow)
  ...
end

  def import_txs(%{account_id: account_id}) do
    import_txs(account.finexer_id, account_id)
  end

  def import_txs(%{paging: %{next: nil}}, _account_id) do
    :ok
  end

  def import_txs(source, account_id) do
    account = BankAccount.by_id(account_id)
    {:ok, txs_resp} = download_transactions(source, account)
    {_, _} = save_transactions(txs_resp, account)
  
   @sync_wokflow
   |> Workflow.status() # get workflow
   |> Workflow.add_cascade(:import, &import_txs/1,
      deps: [:trigger_sync],
      queue: :transactions_sync
    )
   |> Oban.insert_all
end

So the last function would import the current page and schedule the next job. But how do I pass txs_resp to the next job?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews