Improve this code?

I thought I would make one of these “improve this code” posts even though this problem isn’t really at that interesting (but here we are). I don’t hate my solution but I feel like it could perhaps be a little more readable. I’m not sure. It’s not bad, but maybe it could be better? Maybe there is an existing way to do this? I am aware of breadcrumble_ex but it’s too explicit for my use-case. I’d also like a better name, though not putting that on you all.

So this function takes a URI path (eg. /path/to/some/place) and turns it into a list of tuples suitable for a presenter to blindly turn it into breadcrumbs. Here it is:

defmodule ExampleModule do
  @doc """
  Takes a path and return a list of tuples in the form of:

[{"segment", "/path/to/segment"}]

## Example:

iex> ExampleModule.segment_path("/path/to/segment")
    iex> [{"path", "/path"}, {"to", "/path/to"}, {"segement", "/path/to/segment"}]

This is useful for making breadcrumbs.
  """
  def segment_path(path) when is_binary(path) do
    path
    |> String.split("/")
    |> Enum.reverse()
    |> do_segment_path([])
  end

defp do_segment_path([""], acc), do: acc

defp do_segment_path([segment | rest] = path, acc) do
    path =
      path
      |> Enum.reverse()
      |> Enum.join("/")

acc = [{segment, path} | acc]

do_segment_path(rest, acc)
  end
end

That’s it!

Not too exciting, I know. I mostly like this little problem since this is one of those cases where building a list from the end is actually what we want to do. Of course, this just means we reverse it at the beginning as opposed to the end, and then again each iteration to put each segment in its correct form. That’s the big thing I think I would find confusing about this coming back to it later with no context.

Code-golf answers are welcome, but I’m ultimately looking for readability improvements.

3 Likes

YMMV as to where this falls on the golf-vs-readability spectrum, but it’s shorter:

def segment_path(s) do
  s
  |> String.split("/", trim: true)
  |> Enum.scan({nil, ""}, fn el, {_, path} ->
    {el, "#{path}/#{el}"}
  end)
end

The tricky part here is that we only care about part of the “accumulator” for Enum.scan.

Alternatively, you could divide the work into clearer parts:

def segment_path(s) do
  s
  |> Enum.scan([""], &[&1 | &2])
  |> Enum.map(&{hd(&1), Enum.join(Enum.reverse(&1), "/")})
end

The scan here builds a list of lists with (reversed) paths:

[["path"], ["to", "path"], ["segment", "to", "path"]]

Then the map converts those into the desired output shape.

3 Likes

Here’s another option!

def segment_path(path) when is_binary(path) do
    segments = String.split(path, "/", trim: true)

paths =
      Enum.reduce(segments, [], fn
        segment, [] -> ["/#{segment}"]
        segment, [head | _tail] = whole -> ["#{head}/#{segment}" | whole]
      end)

Enum.zip(segments, Enum.reverse(paths))
  end
end

What makes this more readable IMHO:

• Fewer LOC
  • Contained in one function which tells me a clear story
  • Building the paths as we move forward in a visually clear way with interpolation rather than list |> Enum.reverse() |> Enum.join()
  • Only reversing one list at the end
  • Using Enum.reduce/3 which is very familiar to most Elixir devs

You can of course pipe the reduce block into Enum.reverse() instead of inlining it in the zip call, if that’s your preference

As an added bonus this implementation benchmarks 20% faster on my machine than your original :smile:

4 Likes

Another way:

def segment_path(path) do
  path_levels =
    path
    |> length()

path
  |> breadcrumb()
  |> Stream.iterate(fn
    {segment, segment_path} ->
      parent_path = String.replace_trailing(segment_path, "/#{segment}", "")
      breadcrumb(parent_path)
  end)
  |> Enum.take(path_levels)
  |> Enum.reverse()
end

def breadcrumb(path) do
  segment = path
  |> String.split("/")
  |> List.last()

{segment, path}
end

The solution with this code unfolds like this:

path = "/some/path/to/nowhere"

1. {"nowhere", "/some/path/to/nowhere"}
2. {"to", "/some/path/to"}
3. {"path", "/some/path"}
4. {"some", "/some"}

Then it’s reversed.

I won’t add reasoning on why (or whether) this is better, but just another implementation. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you all for your responses!

Enum.scan.3 is actually what I was looking for, but the name didn’t poke out to me. Looks like I need to just do another read-through of the entire Enum module as it’s been quite a while. Stream.iterate/2 is super interesting and was wholly unaware of it.

@msimonborg I like your points but interestingly or not, I always do my best to find an alternative whenever I find myself needing reduce. It’s not that I think it should never be used, and it certainly is sometimes, but I feel it hurts code “scannability”. Since reduce is the most generalized enumerator you can get, just reading its name alone tells an incredibly generalized story about what is about to happen. This forces me to read through a bit of the implementation, even if I don’t care about it, thus hurting scannability. So I always look for an alternative in Enum that is going that is more tailored to what I want to accomplish. Of course, in this instance, not only did I completely miss scan/3, I chose recursion which is definitely not more “scannable”. While I don’t avoid reduce at all costs, I was definitely trying to do so and took it a little too far this time.

That said, I would say that the scan/3 solution is my favourite here. While I somewhat agree that it is better to use functions that more people are familiar with, I feel like once you come across a function a couple of times and look it up it becomes pretty ingrained. Now that I know about scan, just seeing the name itself will give a lot of information about what’s about to happen, and I prefer optimizing for that.

Anyway, thanks again, all—Glad I asked!

1 Like