feviskus

feviskus

Hello there,
I am currently working on my first elixir-project which has a bit more business-logic and is not only CRUD.
I want to apply OTP/concurrency in a useful way, and a book-search aggregator seems to be a good use-case.
Currently I have a prototype implementation for a book-store which I scrape to extract the results (btw, Floki is surprisingly fast! At least it feels faster than python).
The pipe looks like this:

 @behaviour Book4Less.Searches.SearchBookBehaviour

  def search_books(query = %Query{} \\ %Query{title: "Elixir"}) do
    query
    |> build_url() # returns a string
    |> execute_request() # returns a HTTPoison.request
    |> validate_response!() # returns a html-string
    |> extract_books() # returns a list of %Book{}
  end

Questions

  • These functions are temporally-coupled, e.g. build_url/1 and execute_request/1 - because I need to set the url before I send a HTTP-request…
    How to express this coupling best? Just making execute_request/1 call build_url/1?

  • So this pipeline deals with string, HTTP, HTML and the domain-object Book - all levels of abstractions & different topics. Would u unify the return values to e.g. a %Search{} struct?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I think this would be nicely expressed in a with clause since you are subject to errors at each stage of the pipeline and therefore would want to exit the pipeline if an error is detected. So as an example:

def search_books(query = %Query{} \\ %Query{title: "Elixir"}) do
  with {:ok, url} <- build_url(query),
       {:ok, response} <- execute_request(url),
       {:ok, response} <- validate_response(response) do
    extract_books(response)
  end
end

Noting that if at any stage the patterns do not match, the with clause will exit with the non-matching return.

With this approach I would likely delegate validate_response/1 to be called within execute_request/1 since with is best used to describe the happy path. So this time with explicit error management:

def search_books(query = %Query{} \\ %Query{title: "Elixir"}) do
  with {:ok, url} <- build_url(query),
       {:ok, response} <- execute_request(url) do
    extract_books(response)
  else
    {:error, reason} -> raise "whoops, we got error #{inspect reason}"
    other -> raise "unexpected error return #{inspect other}"
  end
end

Then for execute_request/1:

def execute_request(url) do
  with {:ok, response} -> http_call(url),
       {:ok, valid_response} -> validate_response(response) do
    {:ok, valid_response}
  end
end
feviskus

feviskus OP

Thanks to your answer I gained some knowledge about the concept of happy pathand error-handling!
One thing:
IMHO the code using the with statement is not really as expressive/pretty as a normal pipeline. Do you know some approaches which handle that?

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

At some point your expressive pipeline will have to deal with errors since you have functions with side affects (like external requests) so I’m not sure its the right measure of success.

However perhaps the OK library by @Crowdhailer would reflect your tastes more?

peerreynders

peerreynders

FYI: exceptional

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews