angelikatyborska

angelikatyborska

In a LiveView test, how can I get the full page HTML after the initial render? The Phoenix.LiveViewTest.html#live/2 function returns the full page HTML, but then after some updates happen and I pass the Phoenix.LiveViewTest.View struct to Phoenix.LiveViewTest.html#render/1, I only get the HTML of this live view, no layouts.

Here’s a code snippet to show what I mean:

test "deletes user in listing", %{conn: conn, user: user} do
  {:ok, index_live, html} = live(conn, ~p"/users")

  # includes full page HTML, with all the layouts
  dbg(html)

  assert index_live |> element("#users-#{user.id} a", "Delete") |> render_click()

  # only includes this live view's HTML, no layouts - how can I get the full page HTML here, after the update?
  dbg(render(index_live))
end

I would like the full page HTML after updates so that I could send it to an HTML validator, which unfortunately only supports validating full documents, not fragments. But even if it supported validating fragments, there can still be HTML bugs that cannot be caught when validating a fragment only, like invalid tag nesting or referencing not existent elements in for and aria-labelledby and similar attributes, so having the full document available would be ideal.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Take a look at open_browser. I believe it writes the whole document to disk. It may not work out of the box but it may provide some pointers. :slight_smile:

angelikatyborska

angelikatyborska OP

Thank you! I got something like this working based on your hint:

test "deletes user in listing", %{conn: conn, user: user} do
  {:ok, index_live, html} = live(conn, ~p"/users")

  # includes full page HTML, with all the layouts
  dbg(html)

  assert index_live |> element("#users-#{user.id} a", "Delete") |> render_click()

  {_ref, _topic, pid} = index_live.proxy
  {:ok, {parsed_html, _static_assets_path}} = GenServer.call(pid, :html, 30_000)

  # includes full page HTML, with all the layouts
  html_after_update = Floki.raw_html(parsed_html)
end

I see that the proxy genserver Phoenix.LiveViewTest.ClientProxy is not publicly documented. I assume that means its API could change at any time, so I would be using that code at my own risk? I was looking not only to validate my own HTML, but also to recommend to other people how they can do the same :sweat_smile:

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Correct. The next step would be proposing a public API to retrieve this, so you don’t rely on internals. :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews