spammy
Consider this reduced example from Exercism. Given that binding[1] only happens from right of the match operator to left of it, why does the binding work in the function head here?
defmodule Example do
def named_function(:a = variable_a) do
{variable_a, 1}
end
end
Example.named_function(:a)
# => {:a, 1}
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
For your mental model parameter matching works like this:
So the parameter value is first matched with
variable_a. The match operator always returns the right hand side value, so afterwards:a = :ais evaluated, which doesn’t raise and again return the right hand side.Given those behaviours order in the function head essentially doesn’t matter much, though having more constraining match values more to the right could be a micro optimization.
spammy
Great, thank you. I tried reversing the expression, (ie
def named_function(variable_a = :a) do), and it seemed to work in the same way. Reasoning it through,variable_a = (:a = parameter_value)seems to make more sense from a “function selection” point of view, so why is the example in the original post preferred (if at all)?LostKobrakai
I‘d not sweat that. Use the order, which makes more sense to you or people working with the codebase.
rvirding
“Matching” in patterns is not really the same as matching in a body. It is actually based on ‘aliases’ in Erlang where the rationale is that both sides of the
=must match the argument and that they really have nothing to do with each other. Also all variables in the patterns are usable afterwards. That is why a common use is to both test what an argument should look and get a reference to the whole structure:def foo({;a, :b, x, y, z} = all_of_it) when x == y + z douse(all_of_it) %We know all_of_it has the right formatendOr to be a bit fun
def foo({a,b,c} = {x,y,z}) douse_1(a, b, c) == use_1(x, y, z)endadamu
It looks like Elixir’s docs are lacking an explanation for this behaviour.
For example, the Pattern Matching guide says:
but does not cover the case of function parameter binding.
Additionally the Modules and Functions guide does not cover pattern matching in function parameters.
Is it accurate to say that for functions, each argument is bound to the entire expression for each parameter (déjà vu, I’m sure I’ve read this somewhere…)?
You can see here that
a,a2andbwere bound from the argument, regardless of which side of which=they are.raulrpearson
The Erlang docs helped me clarify some nuance, assuming these things map onto Elixir:
A match expression takes the form
Pattern = Expr:A pattern is just a term that can contain unbound variables. A compound pattern is of the form
Pattern = Pattern:Also:
When we declare a function, the arguments are actually treated as patterns (or compound patterns) that will be matched against the expression supplied when calling the function.
I don’t know if “does not imply that its operands are matched in any particular order” holds when invoking functions in Elixir and matching the supplied expression to the declared pattern, though.
The distinction between a pattern (a term that can contain unbound variables) and other types of expressions and understanding where each can be used made it click for me I think.
When you specify an argument in a function declaration or write the left-hand side of a case, you’re writing patterns and compound patterns, not match expressions.
Matching and binding happens in match expressions. When you use
=where a pattern is expected, you’re just writing a compound pattern.