chrisdel101

chrisdel101

Using the default liveView setup via the generator, the flash messages are in live.html.heex. These appear to be included in all true LV’s via MyAppWeb module. But they are not in any of the child components. Not sure why. I’ve been copy/pasting so far but that is not sustainable.

How can I import this live.html into the child components too? I can’t find any docs on that layout keyword used below, if this might be the key.

This is the default code that imports the flashes into the main liveViews.

#live.html.heex
<main class="container">
  <p class="alert alert-info" role="alert"
    phx-click="lv:clear-flash"
    phx-value-key="info"><%= live_flash(@flash, :info) %></p>
  # other flashes

  <%= @inner_content %>
</main>

# myapp_web.ex
defmodule MyAppWeb do
    def controller do ...
    def view do ...
 def live_view do
    quote do
      use Phoenix.LiveView,
     # this imports the flashes live.html
        layout: {MyApp.LayoutView, "live.html"}

      unquote(view_helpers())
    end
  end

  def live_component do
    quote do
      use Phoenix.LiveComponent,
   #  but this does not work - has no effect (I added this)
      layout: {MyApp.LayoutView, "live.html"}
      unquote(view_helpers())
    end
  end
...

Showing Posts 1 to 3

100phlecs

100phlecs

Phoenix.LiveComponent doesn’t take layout: as an option.

I’m not sure of the structure of your app, but what you could do in order to not copy paste the flash html code around would be to wrap your livecomponents in a function that takes a slot.

Using the embed_templates macro, you can then call live.html.heex as a HEEx tag, i.e.

<.live>

</.live>

Otherwise I would just copy paste it into a HEEx function within a module that is accessible within your live components:

slot :inner_block
def container(assigns) do
~H"""
<main class="container">
  <p class="alert alert-info" role="alert"
    phx-click="lv:clear-flash"
    phx-value-key="info"><%= live_flash(@flash, :info) %></p>
  # other flashes

  <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
</main>
"""
end
chrisdel101

chrisdel101 OP

Even thought I just used the live view generator around 3 months ago it gave me version 17.5. Or maybe it was some online tutorial where I copy pasted the wrong version into my mix file.

I’ve just tried to upgrade but I get error error: undefined variable "f" in a million places. No idea how to fix that. So looks like I’m stuck with the old version.

embed_templates doesn’t appear to be supported.
Will give the slots way a try and reply if I fail.

Thx!

gerrit

gerrit

You probably updated to LiveView 0.19.0 which removes the previously deprecated let. You now have to use :let instead.

E.g. <.form let={f} for={@changeset}> is replaced by <.form :let={f} for={@changeset}>

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews