sashaafm

sashaafm

I’m trying to build a release of a project I’m working on which has several CSV, JSON and ETS files. There files are used at runtime to import ETS tables and at compile-time to dynamically generate certain modules. However, Distillery does not seem to include them in the release.

At the beginning I had them in a directory inside the Elixir project (alongside lib). I also tried moving the files inside the lib dir (and changing the config accordingly) but the results were the same.

I’ve been reading the docs but don’t find anything about this. There’s the following reference:

  • code_paths (list of strings);
    a list of additional code paths to use when searching
    for applications/modules

but it does not seem to be related to extra needed files.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

The traditional place to put non-code resources that are needed at runtime is the priv folder. All the tools are aware of this convention and preserve proper paths.

You can access the files at runtime using Application.app_dir(app_name, "priv/path/to/file")

11
Post #1
sashaafm

sashaafm OP

Thank you @michalmuskala. I’m going to try this and report back!

EDIT: Michal’s answer does work. Marking it as the solution.

bitwalker

bitwalker

Leader

You can use :code.priv_dir(app) to get the priv directory directly as well, it’s what I typically use in my applications.

chensan

chensan

How can I access the priv path in dev.exs file? When I do it as below:

"#{Application.app_dir(:app)}/priv/ssl/ca.pem"

I got:

** (Mix.Config.LoadError) could not load config config/dev.exs
    ** (ArgumentError) unknown application: :app
    (elixir) lib/application.ex:428: Application.app_dir/1
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:670: :erl_eval.do_apply/6
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:269: :erl_eval.expr/5
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:81: :eval_bits.eval_field/3
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:65: :eval_bits.expr_grp/4
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:474: :erl_eval.expr/5
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:878: :erl_eval.expr_list/6
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:236: :erl_eval.expr/5

I’m setting ssl_opts for Ecto, putting those pem files under priv/ssl, but the application can’t access them after building with Distillery.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Quick question about this: Does this directory stay the same for all releases, or will each new version have its own priv_dir?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

As long as you install each release into the same directory then the priv directory ‘should’ always remain the same (unless using a custom OTP build or so).

bitwalker

bitwalker

Leader

New versions of your application will have a slightly different path (as the path includes the version of your app in a release), but the same version will always be the same path, regardless of OTP version, Elixir version, etc.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Thank you. This has tripped me off before. I stored some general app-state-information in a file (because the database would be ridiculously overkill for this), but it turned out that the file was not found after upgrading my release, with the app thus restarting with a blank slate every time after an upgrade.

bitwalker

bitwalker

Leader

Yeah my general advice along these lines is to use priv for anything version-specific and/or static data/assets and to rely on something more well-known of your own creation in the filesystem for stateful data, i.e. /var/myapp/. You could also use the var directory created by the release, which you can obtain via the RELEASE_MUTABLE_DIR environment variable exposed to the release (which is used for temporary files like pipes, generated configs, and log files). That said, I would still tend towards using a directory like /var/myapp myself, since you can avoid clutter and manage it’s permissions and so on separately.

acrogenesis

acrogenesis

I’m having the same problem as @chensan I’m trying to set some ssl_opts in a config file and it says:

** (ArgumentError) unknown application: :app
    (elixir) lib/application.ex:654: Application.app_dir/1
    (elixir) lib/application.ex:681: Application.app_dir/2
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:680: :erl_eval.do_apply/6
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:888: :erl_eval.expr_list/6
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:240: :erl_eval.expr/5
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:232: :erl_eval.expr/5
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:888: :erl_eval.expr_list/6
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:240: :erl_eval.expr/5

The app is named :app in mix.exs

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews