xadhoom

xadhoom

Well,

while migrating to elixir 1.11.3 (from 1.10.4) I’ve a new warning about a somewhat complex guard expression that has incompatible types.

An example code triggering that is something like:

  @allowed_types [
    :any,
    :atom,
    :boolean,
    false,
    :float,
    :integer,
    :keyword,
    :list,
    :map,
    nil,
    :number,
    :string,
    :struct,
    true,
    :tuple
  ]

  defguardp is_complex(param)
            when (is_tuple(param) and
                    elem(param, 0) in @allowed_types) or
                   param in @allowed_types

  def hello(param) when is_atom(param) and is_complex(param) do
    "1st guard: #{inspect(param)}"
  end

  def hello(param) when is_complex(param) do
    "2nd guard: #{inspect(param)}"
  end

The warning is pretty long, only on the first hello/1

warning: incompatible types:

    atom() !~ tuple()

in expression:

    # lib/foo.ex:38
    is_atom(param) and (is_tuple(param) and (elem(param, 0) === :any or elem(param, 0) === :atom or elem(param, 0) === :boolean or elem(param, 0) === false or elem(param, 0) === :float or elem(param, 0) === :integer or elem(param, 0) === :keyword or elem(param, 0) === :list or elem(param, 0) === :map or elem(param, 0) === nil or elem(param, 0) === :number or elem(param, 0) === :string or elem(param, 0) === :struct or elem(param, 0) === true or elem(param, 0) === :tuple) or (param === :any or param === :atom or param === :boolean or param === false or param === :float or param === :integer or param === :keyword or param === :list or param === :map or param === nil or param === :number or param === :string or param === :struct or param === true or param === :tuple))

where "param" was given the type atom() in:

    # lib/foo.ex:38
    is_atom(param)

where "param" was given the type tuple() in:

    # lib/foo.ex:38
    is_tuple(param) and (elem(param, 0) === :any or elem(param, 0) === :atom or elem(param, 0) === :boolean or elem(param, 0) === false or elem(param, 0) === :float or elem(param, 0) === :integer or elem(param, 0) === :keyword or elem(param, 0) === :list or elem(param, 0) === :map or elem(param, 0) === nil or elem(param, 0) === :number or elem(param, 0) === :string or elem(param, 0) === :struct or elem(param, 0) === true or elem(param, 0) === :tuple) or (param === :any or param === :atom or param === :boolean or param === false or param === :float or param === :integer or param === :keyword or param === :list or param === :map or param === nil or param === :number or param === :string or param === :struct or param === true or param === :tuple)

Conflict found at
  lib/foo.ex:38: Foo.hello/1

The expression works perfectly as expected and while it can be simplified to avoid the compiler warning, I’m really curious on what’s wrong here, if is something related to elixir 1.11 or the author.

In the example code the custom guard does not make a lot of sense, but in the original one is used to avoid creating different guards and reusing the same one everywhere.

Any suggestion ?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

It is related to Elixir. We already have something in the issues tracker to handle this case. :slight_smile:

xadhoom

xadhoom OP

Great! I did a quick search in the issues and the most similar is this one "Incompatible types in guard" warning · Issue #10611 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub which is closed but does not apply here ( tested also with latest master of today and still happens ), so must be some different issue which I did not noticed.

Thanks, I’ll take a look on the issues so.

eksperimental

eksperimental

Here’s a reduced test case.

defmodule Warning do
  defguardp is_tuple_or_nil(param) when is_nil(param) or is_tuple(param)
                   
  def hello(param) when is_atom(param) and is_tuple_or_nil(param) do
    :is_atom_or_nil
  end
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews