jeffdeville

jeffdeville

Curious what people think about where to host moderately complicated applications these days. (To scope that, I’ve got 2 multi-tenant phoenix apis, 3 postgres db servers, 2 small independent little services, rabbitmq, an opentelemetry collector and log shipper at the moment) Deployed into 3 environments.

Infrastructure as Code is a requirement, which unfortunately rules out fly, which is where we are now. I’m thinking that something like DigitalOcean on Kubernetes, or taking (another) risk on a platform like Render.

Anyone have experience with either of these platforms? Are there other simple options (ahem, not AWS) out there?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

adw632

adw632

I have looked quite a lot at Vultr but I have not used them. There offering seems competitive and their network was fast when testing all the cloud providers.

Logflare is my pick either hosted or self hosted for logging using google bigquery, very economical.

Other than that I use fly for some things and getting projects up and running in non production quickly. I also host my own gitea on fly.io using sqlite backend rather than using Gitlab or GitHub. It’s very fast.

If you can qualify for the AWS startup $100k credit I wouldn’t ignore AWS.

My biggest challenge for security compliance is that only the major clouds like AWS, Azure or Google meet the requirements. So ultimately for anything of value it has to be those three.

D4no0

D4no0

I would not trust a word those companies are saying, taking in consideration their reputation at processing and collecting personal data.

egze

egze

Considering there is now Kubernetes backend for FLAME, I’d go with Kubernetes, just to have the option. I don’t think anyone has written a DigitalOcean backend yet.

We run our app in Kubernetes (AWS EKS) at work. Clustering with libcluster works great.

jeffdeville

jeffdeville OP

Vultr I was unaware of. I’ll definitely throw them in the mix.
And yes, when I said digital ocean, I meant for kubernetes support. I didn’t realize Flame could be used for FLAME directly. Intriguing.

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

Fly also just launched FKS ( Fly Kubernetes Service) if kubernetes is a hard requirement for you. Also note that folks run kubernetes themselves on fly already so we’re probably lower level than you’re thinking. We can run anything in a container. My guess is we tick all the IaC boxes for you already.

adw632

adw632

I don’t trust, the best I can do is verify the independent audit reports and compliance certifications and make risk based decisions. The security posture of the AWS, Azure and Google clouds is sufficient for most government systems and meeting privacy requirements of most countries (non defence and national security use cases) but it is something you have to consider on a service by service basis as not all services are created equal or they contain elements that are not managed at the same level.

A classic one is Microsoft Purview, a data governance solution which crawls all over your entire digital estate and yet doesn’t meet government compliance standards. Several times the resulting risk assessment is a handbrake on the plans of a newly established business unit tasked with implementing enterprise data governance, and of course like most corporate lemmings they reach for Microsoft. “Not happy” directors.

dogweather

dogweather

Geez, you’re optimistic. It’s not 2024 yet. :sweat_smile:

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Like that even means anything. They’re very happy to outsource liability, like most governments. I can bet a good dollar that exactly zero proper auditing was done by government(-affiliated) entities.

Back on topic, I was wondering about Vultr for a long time. I’ll need some extra backup servers and some distributed workers sometime in 2024 so it’s either going to be them or Hetzner.

adw632

adw632

Vultr has good global coverage including Australia and SE Asia and a reasonable level of security compliance as well which is also improved recently.

Vultr are also good for HA setups with floating IP which avoids the cost and upper limits on throughout of cloud service load balancers and additional latency.

Vultr also actively support FreeBSD which I prefer for servers due to better networking with Erlang BEAM as FreeBSD kqueue is more efficient and scalable than anything Linux does. The total observaility of every subsystem is something I could not pass up.

AWS also provide a good option with their Firecracker VMs which boot FreeBSD in 25ms. With such a fast boot time you can instantly demand scale and failover without paying for headroom or contingency.

For deployment I also prefer FreeBSD jail’s which are also supported by Nomad.

adw632

adw632

For cloud storage and backup definitely look at wasabi with 11x9s durability and a lot cheaper than AWS ($6.99 TB/month and no egress charges).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews