kouluelixir

kouluelixir

I am a beginner making a code with module. Employee module has a struct and a function. Employees have names, id’s, salaries and jobs. I have gotten updating jobs and salaries to work.

I still need for the employee id to update for each new employee. I also want to be able to assign a first and last name for each new employee. I tried to do that following this: https://inquisitivedeveloper.com/lwm-elixir-18/ (‘Packaging Struct Data and Functions’). But for some reason, it didn’t work, even if I copied their code.

Is this possible? Thank you in advance.

defmodule Employee do

    defstruct firstName: "", lastName: "", id: 0, salary: 0, job: :none

    def new() do

        %Employee{}

    end

    def promote(employee) do

        case employee.job do

            :none -> employee = %{employee | job: :coder, salary: 2000}

            :coder -> employee = %{employee | job: :designer, salary: 4000}

            :designer -> employee = %{employee | job: :manager, salary: 6000}

            :manager -> employee = %{employee | job: :ceo, salary: 8000}

        end

    end

	def increment_id(employee) do
		%Employee{employee | id: employee.id + 1}
	end
end

employee = Employee.new("John", "Smith")
IO.puts("Employee name: #{employee.firstName} #{employee.lastName}. ID: #{employee.id}.
Job and salary: #{employee.job}, #{employee.salary}")


employee = Employee.promote(employee)
IO.puts("Employee name: #{employee.firstName} #{employee.lastName}. ID: #{employee.id}.
Job and salary: #{employee.job}, #{employee.salary}")

employee = Employee.promote(employee)
IO.puts("Employee name: #{employee.firstName} #{employee.lastName}. ID: #{employee.id}.
Job and salary: #{employee.job}, #{employee.salary}")

employee = Employee.demote(employee)
IO.puts("Employee name: #{employee.firstName} #{employee.lastName}. ID: #{employee.id}.
Job and salary: #{employee.job}, #{employee.salary}")


employee2 = Employee.new("Jane", "Doe")
IO.puts("Employee name: #{employee2.firstName} #{employee2.lastName}. ID: #{employee2.id}.
Job and salary: #{employee2.job}, #{employee2.salary}")

Showing Posts 1 to 8

Matsa59

Matsa59

Hello, let’s explain step by step :wink:

employee = Employee.new("John", "Smith")

This line we call the function new/2 in a module called Employee. In your case this function doesn’t exist. You defined the function new/0 that doesn’t take any parameter.

So let’s update our code to have the right function:


defmodule Employee do
  defstruct first_name: "", last_name: "", id: 0, salary: 0, job: :none

  # Obviously you can call parameter without _var
  # I just add it to clarify the code in the function
  def new(first_name_var, last_name_var) do
    %Employee{first_name: first_name_var, last_name: last_name_var}
  end

  def promote(employee) do
    # ...
  end

  def increment_id(employee) do
    # ...
  end
end

in Elixir only modules names are in camel case, otherwise it’s in kebab case that’s why I changed firstName to first_name.

If you have any other question just ask :wink:

Have a great day

edit : Try to create a function display/1 that take an employee as parameter. Then simply call Employee.display(employee) to execute the IO.puts/1 :wink:
The main objectives of Modules is to reduce the code size meaning when you can factor something, create a function.

kouluelixir

kouluelixir OP

Thank you, I didn’t know about the camel/kebab case. How would you go about incrementing the id for each created employee? Is it even possible with Elixir?

Matsa59

Matsa59

Yeah, you can use Agent or GenServer to hold the value.
Or simply use the previous employee’s id and increment it by one.

employee1 = Employee.new("John", "Doe")
employee2 = Employee.new("Jane", "Doe")

# So here employee1.id == 0 and employee2.id == 0
employee2 = %{employee2 | id: employee1.id + 1}

Often this will be enough

Or using an GenServer

defmodule MyGenServer do
  use GenServer

  def start_link(state) do
    GenServer.start_link(MyGenServer, state, name: :my_gen_server)
  end
  
  # Here state is the 2nd param of `GenServer.start_link/3`
  def init(state), do: {:ok, state}

  def incr do
    # Here we use the name of the GenServer
    GenServer.call(:my_gen_server, :incr)
  end

  # server side, access through GenServer.call or GenServer.cast

  def handle_call(:incr, _from, state) do
    {:reply, state, state + 1}
  end
end

# code to use the GenServer that will manage our id incr

MyGenServer.start_link(0) #  {:ok, pid} =>
# We dont really care of the pid here because we named our GenServer
# A named GenServer is accessible using its name instead of its PID
MyGenServer.inc() # 0
MyGenServer.inc() # 1
MyGenServer.inc() # 2
MyGenServer.inc() # 3

So update your Employee module to have

defmodule Employee do
  defstruct first_name: "", last_name: "", id: nil, salary: 0, job: :none

  # Obviously you can call parameter without _var
  # I just add it to clarify the code in the function
  def new(first_name_var, last_name_var) do
    %Employee{
      first_name: first_name_var, 
      last_name: last_name_var, 
      id: MyGenServer.inc()
    }
  end

You can read more about GenServer here

dom

dom

There’s a nice tutorial on Agent: https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/mix-otp/agent.html

More typically you’d just use a DB. If this is for testing or playing around, you can also use :erlang.unique_integer.

Matsa59

Matsa59

Yeah of course, I supposed he wants to do something that increment one by one :wink:

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I would like to note that for a production system you’d probably want to generate the incrementing ids in the database.

Matsa59

Matsa59

Yes, but he didn’t talk about long term storage. And also the GenServer could also initialized its value for example (for hazardous old database lmao) :wink:

tomkonidas

tomkonidas

in Elixir only modules names are in camel case, otherwise it’s in kebab case that’s why I changed firstName to first_name .

It is actually snake_case and not kebab-case :wink:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews