PatrickSachs

PatrickSachs

My termininology with the question title is probably all over the place, but I’m really struggling on how to phrase it.

What I essentially want to do, is something like plug does in its “get”/“post”, etc. macros: It injects the “conn” variable without having to declare it anywhere.

I have this macro:

defmacro socket(matcher, do: expr) do
  quote do
    def websocket_handle({:json, unquote(matcher) = json}, state) do
      try do
        unquote(expr)
      rescue
        e -> Logger.error("Websocket Error - #{inspect(e)}")
      end
    end
  end
end

and use it like this:

socket %{"action" => "join_chat", "id" => id} do
  my_fun(id)
  my_fun(json) # :(
  my_fun(state) # :(
  {:reply, %{}, state}
end

Now, the “id” variable declared in the matcher is readily available, however “json” and “state” are not. It’s certainly related to scope, but I have tried all sorts of different things - to no avail.

The “var!” macro didn’t really help because that required me to declare the variable first, which is the exact opposite of what I want. I looked at the plug source code, but I had a hard time following it.

Is what I want to do feasable with a small macro? If yes, how - if no, what are my alternatives for giving access to the “json” and “state” variables?

Thank you for your time!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

All variables have to be declared before use, this is what plug does as well. You should be able to just replace the variable names in the function definition inside the quote I’d imagine, to be something like this:

def websocket_handle({:json, unquote(matcher) = unquote(Macro.var(:json, nil))}, unquote(Macro.var(:state, nil))) do

Does that not work?

PatrickSachs

PatrickSachs OP

This seems to work really well! Thank you very much for this - you been a massive time saver.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews