TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

I wish to write an extension to enable caching on certain read actions that define cached? true inside a read action.

How would I idiomatically proceed for the same in Ash? I wish to use Cachex for caching.

Ideally, I am thinking

use Ash.Resource, extensions: [MyCacheExtension] 

... 

actions do 
    read :read_by_id do 
    ... 
        cached? true
    end
end

or a separate cache block which could be more flexible.

cache do 
   activate_for :read_by_id , ttl: 3000 # ms
end 

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The first one, cached? true won’t be possible with the current DSL extension options (maybe some day, but probably not).

As for the latter, you can definitely do that kind of thing :slight_smile: Caching read actions can be complex, because they can be filtered/sorted/limited, so my word of caution to you would be to do some early checks and raise errors if there are unexpected things provided to the query that you don’t know how to handle with your cache.

As for tips on how to do it, the best thing to do would be to look at a relatively simple extension that exists today, AshArchival. You’ll want to do a similar thing that it does, except you are modifying read actions.

And then to do caching for Cachex, here is an example from AshHq where we do exactly that. ash_hq/lib/ash_hq/docs/resources/library/preparations/check_cache.ex at main · ash-project/ash_hq · GitHub

By altering the appropriate read actions, you can attach similar behavior.

TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists OP

Thank you for examples.

Will explore this and post here whatever I end up with. :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews