tpitale

tpitale

I’m attempting to replicate an INSERT … SELECT in Ecto. This appears to be supported by both postgres and mysql (I’m using postgres). I’ve got this working in SQL, but trying to recreate in Ecto.Query.

I created an ecto query that returns the data I want, and tried passing it to insert or insert_all and both seemed to cause errors.

Is there a supported method to do this, or is the official answer, “just use sql”?

I found this post that didn’t really answer the question from Aug 2018: Execute Insert_all from a select

Showing Posts 1 to 8

cpgo

cpgo

Can you share the working sql query?

I suspect you might be looking for Ecto.Query — Ecto v3.14.0

tpitale

tpitale OP

A very simplified example (but I’m only adding more columns):

INSERT INTO fake_table (name, inserted_at, updated_at) SELECT name, now(), now() FROM other_fake_table;
cpgo

cpgo

I’m not sure if this is the right syntax but maybe you can do something along the lines of

Repo.insert_all(
  SomeSchema, [
    [id: from(o in OtherSchema, select: o.id)]
  ]
)
tpitale

tpitale OP

insert_all does support using a query, similar to what you’ve suggested, but only to return a single value. It doesn’t appear to build/use the INSERT INTO … SELECT statement.

The keys of the entries are the field names as atoms and the value should be the respective value for the field type or, optionally, an Ecto.Query that returns a single entry with a single value.

cpgo

cpgo

Hey! I forgot about this reply :blush:

Well, thats a bummer. How did you ended up solving this?

tpitale

tpitale OP

In the end: SQL.

I may try to submit a feature to ecto.

cpgo

cpgo

Yeah, figured that might be the case.

Found the PR that implemented the suporte for single return subquery on insert_all.
Maybe I will have a look this weekend to see if its easy to implement this.
https://github.com/elixir-ecto/ecto_sql/pull/39

cpgo

cpgo

Since this reply still getting lots of clicks and this thread is the top result on google I’ll post an update here.

José pointed out on the last PR I linked that there is a new feature that might address this feature.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews