virinchi_cv

virinchi_cv

Problem

Am writing a mix task that adds a use ModuleName to the top of the generated liveview, after the use MyAppWeb, :live_view line.

Using Igniter & Sourceror to perform the insertion.

defp enhance_index_live(igniter, context, schema, table, fields) do
    schema_module = Module.concat([app_module, String.to_atom(context), String.to_atom(schema)])
    index_path = "lib/#{app_name}_web/live/#{schema_underscore}_live/index.ex"
    # Other variables...

    igniter
    |> Igniter.include_existing_file(index_path)
    |> then(fn igniter ->
      case Igniter.Project.Module.find_and_update_module(igniter, index_module, fn zipper ->
             with {:ok, zipper} <- add_live_resource_use(zipper, schema_module) do
               {:ok, zipper}
             end
           end) do
        {:ok, igniter} ->
          igniter
      end
    end)
  end

In the add_live_resource function,

def add_live_resource_use(zipper, schema_module) do
    use_statement = "use LiveTable.LiveResource, schema: #{inspect(schema_module)}"
    {:ok, ast} = Code.string_to_quoted(use_statement)
    
   case find_liveview_use_statement(zipper) do
      {:ok, liveview_use_zipper} ->
        updated_zipper =
            liveview_use_zipper 
         |> Sourceror.Zipper.insert_right(ast)
         |> Sourceror.Zipper.top()
        {:ok, updated_zipper}

      :error ->
        {:ok, Sourceror.Zipper.insert_child(zipper, ast)}
    end
  end

  def find_liveview_use_statement(zipper) do
    zipper
    |> Sourceror.Zipper.find(:next, fn z ->
      case Sourceror.Zipper.node(z) do
          {:use, _, _} ->
            true

        _ ->
          false
      end
    end)
    |> case do
      nil -> :error
      zipper -> {:ok, zipper}
    end
  end

But its unable to pattern match on the use :live_view line - and always returns errors.

The following arguments were given to Sourceror.Zipper.node/1:
        # 1
        {:__block__, [trailing_comments: [], leading_comments: []]...

I think I’m missing something in the Raw AST vs Zipper Struct conversion.

How to do this properly?

Marked As Solved

virinchi_cv

virinchi_cv OP

Above code had 2 issues-

  1. Improper pattern matching to find the liveview use statement
  2. Returning AST at the incorrect level after inserting the use LiveTable

These were resolved by using the Sourceror.Zipper.search_pattern/2 & Sourceror.Zipper.up/2, as seen in the following code snippet-

defp add_live_resource_use(zipper, schema_module) do
    use_statement = "use LiveTable.LiveResource, schema: #{inspect(schema_module)}"
    {:ok, ast} = Code.string_to_quoted(use_statement)

    case find_liveview_use_statement(zipper) do
      {:ok, liveview_use_zipper} ->
        updated_zipper =
          liveview_use_zipper
          |> Sourceror.Zipper.insert_right(ast)
          |> Sourceror.Zipper.up()

        {:ok, updated_zipper}

      :error ->
        {:ok, Sourceror.Zipper.insert_child(zipper, ast)}
    end
  end

  defp find_liveview_use_statement(zipper) do
    case Sourceror.Zipper.search_pattern(zipper, "use __, :live_view") do
      nil -> :error
      z -> {:ok, z}
    end
  end

This fixed the issue. If you want to go through the entire code, here’s the link Git Link
This was used to implement Livetable’s mix live_table.gen.live task.

Also Liked

ken-kost

ken-kost

      Project.Module.find_and_update_module!(igniter, module, fn zipper -> 
         with {:ok, zipper} <- 
                Common.within(zipper, fn zipper -> 
                  with {:ok, zipper} <- Function.move_to_def(zipper, :router, 0), 
                       {:ok, zipper} <- Common.move_to_do_block(zipper) do 
                    line = "use Routex.Router" 
                    {:ok, Common.add_code(zipper, line, placement: :before)}      
                  end 
                end),

here’s an example I did in routex, maybe it helps. I think you don’t even need move calls. :thinking: not sure, it’s been awhile. :sweat_smile:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews