kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

TLDR;

What should I emit for inspect/2 output of library structs? Executable code, string representation or default (outputs the struct fields)?

Summary

In April, I changed the output of inspect/2 for Cldr.LanguageTag.t to be executable code rather than the default structural output. I did this to align with what I understood is the emerging pattern for Elixir structs but not everyone agrees.

I decided to review the inspect/2 output for all the Elixir core structs (summary below)

It appears, as I had understood, that most structs emit executable code these days. Using a sigil if one is part of kernel and a function call if not.

The ones that do not emit executable code appear to do so because there is no mapping from the struct to code - perhaps because the struct holds some state like File.Stream. And it makes sense for a PID to be represented a a string because the struct is opaque. I think URI might be an outlier - it could be URI.parse!(uri_string) I think, without losing any information.

I didn’t seen anything in the Elixir Antipatterns guide.

What is core teams guidance and what are community expectations for inspect/2 output for a struct?

Output executable code

  • Date
  • Time
  • DateTime
  • Date.Range
  • NaiveDateTime
  • Regex
  • MapSet
  • Range
  • Exceptions (emit their name only, which I count as code)

Output structure

  • URI
  • File.Stream
  • Version

Output string representation

  • PID

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Marcus

Marcus

I expect executable code as a result of inspect. In my projects, I also change it to this effect.
If I want to see the structure I use:

iex> Date.utc_today()
~D[2024-07-03]
iex> Date.utc_today() |> inspect(structs: false)
"%{calendar: Calendar.ISO, month: 7, __struct__: Date, day: 3, year: 2024}"
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

To me “exectuable code” inspection format is a (better) alternative to the previous convention of having #Struct.Name<…> format. But I don’t expect it in places where no custom inspect implementation is needed and/or makes sense, so I don’t consider that new pattern a general one to be applied everywhere.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

The standard library is not a great example because Date, Time, Regex, Range, etc, all have built-in sigils and operators, imported by default, which are compact and justify using the same notation for printing them. If we remove those from the equation, we end-up with:

  • URI, File.Stream, Version - output the struct
  • MapSet - uses MapSet.new
  • PID, Ref, Port - output the string representation

Given providing built-in sigils/operators is not practical outside of stdlib, here is the main chart:

  • Can I expose the struct representation without leaking implementation details?
    • If yes, output the struct (such as URI, File.Stream, etc)
    • If no, is there an executable version?
      • If yes, use it (such as MapSet, Decimal, etc)
      • If no, print a string version (#PID<...>)
13
Post #3
acalejos

acalejos

@josevalim This is a very useful breakdown and I’m glad the original question was asked.

Would this make sense in the documentation somewhere? Maybe under Library Guidelines?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Perhaps we could document it under Inspect itself?

acalejos

acalejos

I think that’d be appropriate

kip

kip OP

ex_cldr Core Team

José, thank you, I think these are a good addition to the inspect/2 docs.

I’m probably overthinking it again but I’m not able to reconcile the “If yes (expose the struct without leaking implementation details), then output the struct” with the Date/Time/DateTime structs.

Those don’t appear to include implementation details and yet they output executable code - albeit in sigil form. (I agree that sigil form is only really appropriate for stdlib since the those sigils are included by default).

tfwright

tfwright

This seems to be what makes them exceptions, but also aren’t structs just as executable as sigils? I’m a bit confused by that category. I can definitely see the advantage of emitting executable code over a string representation of the code, which is why I generally prefer the actual struct vs a “pseudo code” string representation, but I don’t see the downsides to emitting structs when they are public. Even if they leak implementation details I think I would prefer that as long as there is an additional convention around signalling that.

On the other hand it’s not clear to me why MapSet returns what it does so it’s likely I’m missing something.

kip

kip OP

ex_cldr Core Team

I don’t see the downsides to emitting structs when they are public

Thats definitely part of my consideration here. There is an argument (going on in my head) about whether Cldr.LanguageTag.t should be opaque. In which case the inspect output would not be the structure.

I don’t see the downsides to emitting structs when they are public

When the struct is really large then, at least in iex, the output isn’t always clarifying. At least thats been part of my thinking.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

MapSet is an opaque type. It means the internal representation might change at any time – even has in the past, so not just a theoretical thing. Therefore it cannot show you the internals, because then you start depending on it (like pasting from one elixir version to the next might break), which is something to be avoided.

Previously it did inspect as #MapSet<[…]>, which made the mapset a comment in elixir syntax, meaning you couldn’t paste the inspected value into a shell or file and have elixir turn it back into an actual MapSet.

To help with that downside many of such structs were switched to an “executable code” representation, which is still valid elixir code, which happens to evaluate to the inspected value without needing to know the internals. That’s MapSet.new([…]).

Where it gets more into the space of “tradeoffs” is when it’s not clearly a opaque type, like with Decimal. It is a public and documented struct, but who want so see %Decimal{exp: -4, sign: 1, coef: 152345} vs. Decimal.new("15.2345") in the common case – for the uncommon case there’s always inspect(…, structs: false).

  • I think this works well because this is lossless. The information and value behind their evaluated data between both options is the same. There is a 1:1 mapping between all possible value in both forms and the conversion between could be implemented as a pure function.
  • Even with decimal not being an opaque type you’re generally not expected to dig in the individual fields of that struct. The expectation is that you use the Decimal api for any manipulation on a decimal.
  • That kinda boils down to “decimal” being considered a self-sufficient type, a value that’s (usually) not to be subdivided – similar to e.g. MapSet

From the issue @kip linked it seems those bullet points might not apply to how one would interact with a language tag in cldr.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews