Install fails for Ubuntu 21.04

Apparently the install repository isn’t updated for Ubuntu 21.04 yet?

wget https://packages.erlang-solutions.com/erlang-solutions_2.0_all.deb && sudo dpkg -i erlang-solutions_2.0_all.deb

produces a “no release candidate” error on my U21.04. Then

sudo apt-get install esl-erlang

also fails with

Unable to locate package esl-erlang

Please advise.

Please advise.

1 Like

Have you tried using asdf? GitHub - asdf-vm/asdf: Extendable version manager with support for Ruby, Node.js, Elixir, Erlang & more

4 Likes

please try again to download and install erlang-solutions_2.0_all.deb.
The package is available and valid, should definitely install on ubuntu.

after that you need to

sudo apt-get update

before you install erlang.

see Installing Elixir - The Elixir programming language

I would not recommend ASDF for the first steps.

2 Likes

Same problem

…the repository ‘Index of debian hirsute Release’ does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

You’re right, there is no hirsute folder under Erlang solutions’ Index of debian/dists.

I am having the same problem, has anyone found a solution, or should I downgrade to an older Ubuntu version?

rather than downgrading Ubuntu, I’d give asdf a try. The nerves project has a guide how to do that (skip the last step / install of nerves_bootstrap)

Also doing a +1 for asdf. Makes it so easy to dev for different versions of Elixir and Erlang

1 Like

Half a year after 21.04 release (which is LTS by the way) they still didn’t update their build to provide hirsute packages. They just don’t care.

You can download 20.04 debs manually and install them, it works.

21.04 is not a LTS release please check the ubuntu website

You should avoid non LTS release for daily use.

I am also having a problem with installation of elixir in Ubuntu 21.10. This time the message for all the deb packages is similar to this one

E: Failed to fetch http://binaries.erlang-solutions.com/debian/pool/erlang-tools_24.1.7-1%7eubuntu%7eimpish_amd64.deb  File has unexpected size (699230 != 699338). Mirror sync in progress? [IP: 54.192.230.37 80]

Should I wait or should I install debian packages manually?

For whoever stumbles upon this while trying to install erlang/elixir to an ubuntu based distro

It seems that the people at erlang-solutions have stopped caring; their packages are completely broken. Do not, I repeat, do not lose time trying to install erlang using the repo from erlang-solutions.

Instead just bite the bullet and use asdf. It works flawlessly!

4 Likes

Can confirm this on Ubuntu 22.04 and installed instead using asdf as advised. Could the Elixir website be updated to reflect this? It would have saved a bunch of time :slight_smile:

2 Likes