JeyHey

JeyHey

On my job computer internet connectivity of PowerShell is blocked because of security reasons.

This means that I cannot fetch dependencies by executing mix deps.get. What I can do, is to fetch the dependency by downloading it directly from GitHub through the browser and copying it into the ‘deps’-folder in my mix project. The GitHub repository, however, does not include the hex_metadata.config and the .hex files. This means that I cannot compile my mix project as mix cannot check if I have the right version of the dependency.

So what I do is that I fetch the dependency on my private computer (where everything works) and then send the hex_metadata.config and .hex files to my job computer where I copy them into the folder of the dependency.

My question is: Is there a way of manually fetching the hex_metadata.config and .hex files of a dependency without going via the shell (so I can add dependencies without needing my private computer) ?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

hauleth

hauleth

Can you ask the SysOps/SecOps to provide proxy for you? It would allow you to install Hex packages without all that problems.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Make a Dockerfile that replicates the environment of the wok machine (same CPU arch, no need for the same OS if you’re not compiling inside the container), fetch the packages there and just copy them out of the container on the work machine. That should work.

cmo

cmo

You could try using the git method (with tag or ref option) of defining a dependency or clone the repos and refer to them using the path method in mix.exs.

Silly question, but have you tried running it from the command prompt and not in powershell? And maybe specifying mix.bat ...?

aiko

aiko

Indeed, It is the security team’s task to keep (bad) stuff out, so if you want to let something in, you need to work with them to make this happen in a way that works for both teams. Trying to circumvent the in place security measures knowingly may get you into more trouble than it is worth.

“Trust me, I know what I am doing”

hauleth

hauleth

That is what I am telling - work with them to allow access to Hex packages as a trusted source. You can run your own Hex instance that will contain all packages you need.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews