Installation on Elixir on MacOS Sonoma 14.4 is crashing

Hello guys , I am trying to install elixir 1.16.0 on my mac , running MacOS Sonoma 14.4 , but its crashing with error : Slogan: init terminating in do_boot ({{badmatch,{error,{elixir,{}}}},[{elixir,start_cli,0,[{},{_}]},{init,start_em,1,[]},{init,do_boot,3,[]}]})
I need some help to fix this

How are you installing it?

Better try it via mise (or its more and more obsolete inspiration asdf).

I believe there should be simpler way , let me keep digging the web

Hi Hudson,

mise and asdf are simple, yet powerful tools. Of course you can spend all the time you want trying all methods available, we’re just giving you the fastest route since we’ve been in the same place you are. You can setup ASDF in any macOS in 3 minutes and start your application.

Or keep digging about your specific issue. Use your best judgement.

All the best!

1 Like

I have done installation via homebrew ,

Blockquote brew install elixir
The installation was successful but when I try to check the version of the elixir , I am getting this crash dump error

Blockquote =ERROR REPORT==== 9-Apr-2024::09:18:01.115929 ===
beam/beam_load.c(190): Error loading module ‘Elixir.Kernel’:
** This BEAM file was compiled for a later version of the runtime system than the current (Erlang/OTP 25).**
** To fix this, please re-compile this module with an Erlang/OTP 25 compiler.**
** (Use of opcode 182; this emulator supports only up to 180.)**

=ERROR REPORT==== 9-Apr-2024::09:18:01.115950 ===
Loading of /usr/local/Cellar/elixir/1.16.2/bin/…/lib/elixir/ebin/Elixir.Kernel.beam failed: badfile

=ERROR REPORT==== 9-Apr-2024::09:18:01.129789 ===
Loading of /usr/local/Cellar/elixir/1.16.2/bin/…/lib/elixir/ebin/elixir_code_server.beam failed: badfile
=ERROR REPORT==== 9-Apr-2024::09:18:01.129779 ===
beam/beam_load.c(190): Error loading module elixir_code_server:
** This BEAM file was compiled for a later version of the runtime system than the current (Erlang/OTP 25).**
** To fix this, please re-compile this module with an Erlang/OTP 25 compiler.**
** (Use of opcode 181; this emulator supports only up to 180.)**

Does not sound like banging your head against the wall is simpler but you do you.

mise or asdf are installed in a literal minute, from then on you just do mise install erlang@26.2.3 and mise install elixir@1.16.2-otp-26 and you’re done.

1 Like

There are indeed, other ways.
I don’t think any of these are simpler than using asdf or mise

1 Like

ok let me try this and revert

1 Like