holder66

holder66

I am attempting to install Elixir on an Nvidia Jetson Nano development board. This board runs ubuntu 18.04 LTS, on a 4-core ARMv8 rev 1 (v8l) processor. I’ve attempted to install using the distributions, then precompiled packages, and then compiling from source. Erlang/OTP 20 seems to install OK, following the instructions for the ubuntu distribution, but then continuing it installs elixir 1.3.3. iex works, but elixir --version terminates abnormally.
Any help appreciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 7

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

Could you share any error message printed please? :slight_smile:

outlog

outlog

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Elixir 1.3 is definitely not compatible with OTP 20. Weird that that’s the version that’s showing up. I’d consider using asdf as suggested by @outlog to a modern version of the language.

gentprog

gentprog

@lpil I’m just trying this now using the Raspberry Pi instructions from the elixir-lang.org site. I get the following when I try to get the elixir and iex versions:

$ elixir -v
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [kernel-poll:false]

{"init terminating in do_boot",{{badmatch,error},[{'Elixir.System',build,0,[{file,"lib/system.ex"},{line,172}]},{'Elixir.System',build_info,0,[{file,"lib/system.ex"},{line,164}]},{'Elixir.Kernel.CLI',parse_shared,2,[{file,"lib/kernel/cli.ex"},{line,153}]},{'Elixir.Kernel.CLI','shared_option?',3,[{file,"lib/kernel/cli.ex"},{line,113}]},{'Elixir.Kernel.CLI',main,1,[{file,"lib/kernel/cli.ex"},{line,14}]},{init,start_em,1,[]},{init,do_boot,3,[]}]}}
init terminating in do_boot ({{badmatch,error},[{Elixir.System,build,0,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.System,build_info,0,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,parse_shared,2,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,shared_option?,

Crash dump is being written to: erl_crash.dump...done
$ iex -v
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [kernel-poll:false]

*** Shell process terminated! (^G to start new job) ***

$time $metadata[$level] $levelpad$message
 
BREAK: (a)bort (c)ontinue (p)roc info (i)nfo (l)oaded
       (v)ersion (k)ill (D)b-tables (d)istribution
greghgradwell

greghgradwell

I was able to install Elixir using the Nerves installation instructions. I’m running Ubuntu 18.04.
https://github.com/nerves-project/nerves/blob/master/docs/Installation.md

holder66

holder66 OP

@greghgradwell what version of elixir and OTP did you install (and on the Nvidia Jetson Nano, right?)

greghgradwell

greghgradwell

@holder66 Yes, this is on the Nano, with L4T 32.1.0 (I haven’t updated to 32.2 yet). I just used the same commands as the ones in the document, so I’m assuming it’s Erlang 22.0.7, and Elixir 1.9.1.

It definitely takes a while to install Erlang on the Nano. When it was building the source code I got a couple warnings about some Docs not being available, and then it appears to be unresponsive, but just let it keep running. Had all 4 CPUs maxed out for like 30 minutes (or at least it felt that long).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews