Installing Elixir on an Nvidia Jetson Nano development board

I am attempting to install Elixir on an Nvidia Jetson Nano development board. This board runs ubuntu 18.04 LTS, on a 4-core ARMv8 rev 1 (v8l) processor. I’ve attempted to install using the distributions, then precompiled packages, and then compiling from source. Erlang/OTP 20 seems to install OK, following the instructions for the ubuntu distribution, but then continuing it installs elixir 1.3.3. iex works, but elixir --version terminates abnormally.
Any help appreciated!

Could you share any error message printed please? :slight_smile:

give asdf a try…

Elixir 1.3 is definitely not compatible with OTP 20. Weird that that’s the version that’s showing up. I’d consider using asdf as suggested by @outlog to a modern version of the language.

2 Likes

@lpil I’m just trying this now using the Raspberry Pi instructions from the elixir-lang.org site. I get the following when I try to get the elixir and iex versions:

$ elixir -v
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [kernel-poll:false]

{"init terminating in do_boot",{{badmatch,error},[{'Elixir.System',build,0,[{file,"lib/system.ex"},{line,172}]},{'Elixir.System',build_info,0,[{file,"lib/system.ex"},{line,164}]},{'Elixir.Kernel.CLI',parse_shared,2,[{file,"lib/kernel/cli.ex"},{line,153}]},{'Elixir.Kernel.CLI','shared_option?',3,[{file,"lib/kernel/cli.ex"},{line,113}]},{'Elixir.Kernel.CLI',main,1,[{file,"lib/kernel/cli.ex"},{line,14}]},{init,start_em,1,[]},{init,do_boot,3,[]}]}}
init terminating in do_boot ({{badmatch,error},[{Elixir.System,build,0,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.System,build_info,0,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,parse_shared,2,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,shared_option?,

Crash dump is being written to: erl_crash.dump...done
$ iex -v
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [kernel-poll:false]

*** Shell process terminated! (^G to start new job) ***

$time $metadata[$level] $levelpad$message

BREAK: (a)bort (c)ontinue (p)roc info (i)nfo (l)oaded
       (v)ersion (k)ill (D)b-tables (d)istribution

I was able to install Elixir using the Nerves installation instructions. I’m running Ubuntu 18.04.
https://github.com/nerves-project/nerves/blob/master/docs/Installation.md

1 Like

@greghgradwell what version of elixir and OTP did you install (and on the Nvidia Jetson Nano, right?)

@holder66 Yes, this is on the Nano, with L4T 32.1.0 (I haven’t updated to 32.2 yet). I just used the same commands as the ones in the document, so I’m assuming it’s Erlang 22.0.7, and Elixir 1.9.1.

It definitely takes a while to install Erlang on the Nano. When it was building the source code I got a couple warnings about some Docs not being available, and then it appears to be unresponsive, but just let it keep running. Had all 4 CPUs maxed out for like 30 minutes (or at least it felt that long).

1 Like