fayddelight
I tried installing
elixir 1.11.2
erlang 23.3.4
via asdf in my zsh shell. Enabled the versions locally and globally.
When I list them via ‘asdf list elixir’ or ‘asdf list erlang’ the correct versions are listed but not usable.
→ it keeps on showing: zsh: command not found: iex
I had the latest version of Elixir installed by homebrew before, which worked flawlessly.
Before the installation via asdf I uninstalled the brew installed version.
It keeps on not working after updating my OS(Monterey 12.2.1), updating brew, cleaning up brew, copying suggested lines to zsh, restarting my computer, etc.
Does anyone runs into the same issue or knows a workaround? Am I overlooking something?
Many thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 17 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ChrisNg02655332
Thank you! it worked correctly
tolgnu
recently had this problem, noticed that on .zshrc, I got my
plugins+=(asdf)line commented. Having that uncommented, now all works well.sudosu
glad I found this.
this works thanks
nightfury17200
in my shell config file. Sorry for the late response, the problem got solved after sometime without me doing anything.
cblavier
Did you put the
exportcommand right into your terminal or did you put it in your shell configuration file?(something like~/.bashrcor~/.zshrc)The first solution will only work for your current terminal session, whereas the latter solution will run the
exportcommand at each terminal session startup.nightfury17200
I tried doing this and it worked fine, but after restarting my laptop asdf is gone. I tried this twice ad asdf gets uninstalled both the times after restarting my laptop, what should I do?
fayddelight
That worked thank you!
kartheek
Setting erl variable in environment is different from adding it to $PATH.
if you want to erl to path - it should be
export PATH=<path_to_exec_parent_folder>:$PATH
You should be adding
~/.asdf/shimsif it is not present.Can you try this:
And check
iex,erl,elixircommandsfayddelight
So if I type in these commands:
(base) ➜ ~ asdf which elixir
HOME/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.11.2/bin/elixir
(base) ➜ ~ HOME/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.11.2/bin/elixir --version
HOME/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.11.2/bin/elixir: line 230: exec: erl: not found
I get the error above.
So I tried fixing it with setting export erl=HOME/.asdf/installs/erlang/23.3.4/bin/erl
in ~/.zshenv
However
(base) ➜ ~ echo $erl
shows me
HOME/.asdf/installs/erlang/23.3.4/bin/erl
but just typing
(base) ➜ ~ erl
zsh: command not found: erl
Seems to me this is a zsh issue or I’m making a mistake?
sergio
Try
mix local.hexwhat that do for youI would also try a dumb terminal with no zsh, see if that functions normally so you can narrow the surface area of this bug.