pedromvieira

pedromvieira

It fixed Erlang / Elixir, but I couldnt install correctly Phoenix.
Did you succeed?
Some of my deps like apartmentex that depends on ecto can’t compile.

I did try normal url and local file to install Phoenix.
Erlang, Nodejs & Elixir last versions from ASDF. (including that PR)

Mac OS High Sierra last beta.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

NobbZ

NobbZ

What command do you use to install Phoenix and what error messages do you get? What are your erlang and elixir versions?

pedromvieira

pedromvieira OP

Erlang 20 with RP.
Elixir 1.5.1.

Remote
mix archive.install https://github.com/phoenixframework/archives/raw/master/phx_new.ez
Are you sure you want to replace it with “https://github.com/phoenixframework/archives/raw/master/phx_new.ez”? [Yn] Y
* creating .asdf/installs/elixir/1.5.1/.mix/archives/phx_new

ls .asdf/installs/elixir/1.5.1/.mix/archives/phx_new/phx_new/ebin/
Elixir.Mix.Tasks.Local.Phoenix.beam Elixir.Phx.New.Generator.beam
Elixir.Mix.Tasks.Local.Phx.beam Elixir.Phx.New.Project.beam
Elixir.Mix.Tasks.Phoenix.New.beam Elixir.Phx.New.Single.beam
Elixir.Mix.Tasks.Phx.New.Ecto.beam Elixir.Phx.New.Umbrella.beam
Elixir.Mix.Tasks.Phx.New.Web.beam Elixir.Phx.New.Web.beam
Elixir.Mix.Tasks.Phx.New.beam phx_new.app
Elixir.Phx.New.Ecto.beam

Local
mix archive.install ~/phx_new.ez

No mix phoenix tasks populated in mix help.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I do hope you mean mix help | grep phx tasks? It is phx.blah not phoenix.blah. ^.^

NobbZ

NobbZ

This is what I get, its funtoo linux though…

$ mix help | egrep "phx|phoenix"
mix local.phoenix     # Updates Phoenix locally
mix local.phx         # Updates the Phoenix project generator locally
mix phoenix.new       # Creates a new Phoenix v1.3.0 application
mix phx.new           # Creates a new Phoenix v1.3.0 application
mix phx.new.ecto      # Creates a new Ecto project within an umbrella project
mix phx.new.web       # Creates a new Phoenix web project within an umbrella project

Of course you need to make sure that you are actually using the correct elixir version!

In your case I’d try this to be sure:

$ ASDF_ELIXIR_VERSION=1.5.1 mix help | egrep "phoenix|phx"

If that does really print nothing, please do show the full output of ASDF_ELIXIR_VERSION=1.5.1 mix help and which mix!

pedromvieira

pedromvieira OP

The error is occurring both on new phx apps and old ones.

mix compile
==> apartmentex
Compiling 5 files (.ex)

== Compilation error in file lib/apartmentex/migrations_path_builder.ex ==
** (CompileError) lib/apartmentex/migrations_path_builder.ex:2: cannot import Mix.Ecto.build_repo_priv/1 because it is undefined or private
    (elixir) src/elixir_import.erl:77: :elixir_import.calculate/6
    (elixir) src/elixir_import.erl:18: :elixir_import.import/4
could not compile dependency :apartmentex, "mix compile" failed. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile apartmentex", update it with "mix deps.update apartmentex" or clean it with "mix deps.clean apartmentex"
pedromvieira

pedromvieira OP

This command output works:

ASDF_ELIXIR_VERSION=1.5.1 mix help | egrep "phoenix|phx"
mix local.phoenix      # Updates Phoenix locally
mix local.phx          # Updates the Phoenix project generator locally
mix phoenix.gen.html   # Generates controller, model and views for an HTML based resource
mix phoenix.new        # Creates a new Phoenix v1.3.0 application
mix phoenix.server     # Starts applications and their servers
mix phx.digest         # Digests and compresses static files
mix phx.digest.clean   # Removes old versions of static assets.
mix phx.gen.channel    # Generates a Phoenix channel
mix phx.gen.context    # Generates a context with functions around an Ecto schema
mix phx.gen.embedded   # Generates an embedded Ecto schema file
mix phx.gen.html       # Generates controller, views, and context for an HTML resource
mix phx.gen.json       # Generates controller, views, and context for a JSON resource
mix phx.gen.presence   # Generates a Presence tracker
mix phx.gen.schema     # Generates an Ecto schema and migration file
mix phx.gen.secret     # Generates a secret
mix phx.new            # Creates a new Phoenix v1.3.0 application
mix phx.new.ecto       # Creates a new Ecto project within an umbrella project
mix phx.new.web        # Creates a new Phoenix web project within an umbrella project
mix phx.routes         # Prints all routes
mix phx.server         # Starts applications and their servers
NobbZ

NobbZ

Then create properly filled .tool-versions file in your project root as described in asdfs README:

https://github.com/asdf-vm/asdf#the-tool-versions-file

Maybe you can also set a global version as you require it via asdf global elixir 1.5.1.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Also let me please say, that asdf is not a packagemanager like apt or brew which installs elixir or something else in the required version, its a tool that manages environments and therefore need to be learned to be able to use it correctly. Its much more like rbenv, rvm, rustup, evm, etc…

But if one has mastered it, one can use it to run tests automatically against mutliple Erlang/Elixir-Version-Combinations without having to rely or configure external CI Services. Therefore you can get a level of confidence your code is correct for all targeted environments even before pushing it to the public.

AlchemistCamp

AlchemistCamp

I made an asdf quickstart tutorial a while back that goes through installing languages and Phoenix. I still use it when setting up new machines.

It might help as a quick check to see if there’s something you’re missing.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews