Instinct Science is hiring an Elixir Developer - Remote / Full-Time

Instinct Science is a growing Philadelphia-based animal health company working on a unique technology solution for state-of-the-art veterinary hospitals.

We’re seeking an experienced Back End / Integrations Engineer who is looking for a new career opportunity to be the next member of our growing 30-person team. The ideal candidate is efficient, creative, detail-oriented, and motivated to work on challenging yet meaningful work that has the potential to shape an entire profession.

The Instinct team is fully distributed, thus geographic location isn’t important as long as you can overlap with our regular business hours (Mon-Fri 8-5 ET).

About us

My name: Mickael Lucchini
My position: Technical co-founder
Company name: Instinct Science

About the job

Job title: Software Developer / Engineer
Job description / What the successful job applicant will be working on:

You will be instrumental in creating connections to 3rd party systems, contributing to our backend application, developing internal tools and in shaping our data models. Your contributions and leadership will greatly influence the usability and usefulness of the product.

Day-to-day work will consist of managing partner relationships, designing, building, documenting and troubleshooting interfaces to 3rd party software. Additionally, you will be building new features, troubleshooting bugs, planning future dev work, reviewing teammate’s PRs, and taking ownership for our growing back-end application. You will be part of a close-knit team that is working hard for a better product each day.

Qualifications or experience required

• At least 3 years of experience building back-end applications
  • Usage of Elixir and/or Erlang in production
  • Deep knowledge of API designs
  • Working knowledge of networking protocols and data interchange formats (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SOAP, JSON, XML)
  • Working knowledge of relational databases
  • A high bar for code quality with belief in automated testing
  • Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple simultaneous engagements
  • Strong problem solving and analytical skills with experience resolving problems efficiently
  • A desire to mentor and support a team of fellow developers
  • Ability to think through challenges and develop features that solve them elegantly
  • Ability to challenge and improve our current architecture
  • Excitement for building critical integrations for veterinary hospitals

Bonus Experience

• Previous remote engineer position, preferably as part of a small team
  • Previous work on health care, medical records, veterinary, or enterprise software
  • Knowledge of HL7
  • Managing business relationships

About the interview process

Flexible but generally composed of 3 rounds and a test:

• Round 1: 30 min - introductions and general Q&A
  • Round 2: 1.5h - detailed technical interview
  • Test: 1h - no whiteboard, no tricks, you’ll pair and work on real code as used at Instinct
  • Round 3: test debrief, and hopefully an offer

Tech at Instinct

• Elixir, Phoenix, Absinthe (GraphQL)
  • PostgreSQL, Redis
  • Javascript, Typescript, React, Apollo, Electron
  • Cypress, Jest, React Testing Library
  • Node
  • AWS
  • CircleCI
  • Docker
  • Papertrail, Sentry, Prometheus, Grafana
  • Github, Jira, Slack

Salary and Benefits Highlights

• We offer a supportive, caring, and rewarding work environment
  • We pay our team well (based on experience)
  • We give our team owner-like flexibility over work and time off
  • We offer health, vision, dental insurance and 401K
  • We offer a generous home office and professional development stipend
  • We provide all-expense-paid travel to hospitals and our annual retreat

Apply here: https://instinct.vet/instinctjobs

5 Likes

Is there any chance for devs who explore almost one year and build some practical and personal projects with Elixir, Phoenix, Absinthe, PostgreSQL, React and Apollo without getting into any job with Elixir Stack. Though I have almost 4 years of Python-Django work experience. I want to build my career in future with Elixir stack.

All experience is considered, not just with Elixir. We aren’t rigid :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am deterred by the fact that I have to log in to Google to apply.

2 Likes

Do I have to live in the USA to apply for this position?

Not limited to US candidates, but we prefer time zones that have some overlap with CT/ET US time zones. It makes it easier to collaborate with teammates when needed :slight_smile:

Great, my time zone is CST!
I sent my application a few hours ago.