travisf
I have a web app that handles a fair amount of traffic and sends a good deal of transactional emails, likely around 1000 a day. About 99% of the time there are no issues but about three months ago we started having an issue where emails are failing with this error:
{%Bamboo.SMTPAdapter.SMTPError{
message: "There was a problem sending the email through SMTP.\n\nThe error is :no_more_hosts\n\nMore detail below:\n\n{:permanent_failure, 'port', :auth_failed}\n",
raw: {:no_more_hosts, {:permanent_failure, 'port', :auth_failed}}
},
We get this error between 0 - 20 times a day but, in almost all cases, manually sending the email again solves the problem. Again, this application has been in production, and processing about the same number of orders, since 2019 and we only started seeing this issue in April or May of this year. Any ideas?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
al2o3cr
auth_failedmeans the initial authentication handshake (before trying to send a message) failed. Your provider may be able to provide more insight from their logs.One odd thing: the error tuple is
{:permanent_failure, smtp_host, :auth_failed}- is'port'the intended value, a placeholder for the real one, or something else?travisf
@al2o3cr sorry for the late response here.
Yeah
portis a placeholder.Due to the intermittent nature of this error I ended up just pattern matching on the failure and restarting from that point. Since then we have not had any issues, but I’d still love to know what the initial cause was. You mentioned that it is the initial authentication handshake, so would that be an AWS issue either with EC2 or SES or something else?
My initial hypothesis was that our rate limit was throttling sends but after upping our limit to some impossibly high amount the issue persisted with the same frequency.
pza
Hey @travisf did you ever get to the bottom of this? We’re seeing the same thing - most emails work fine but roughly once per hour we get the following. We have retry set at the Bamboo level and outside of that too.
travisf
No, we never did. As I mentioned in my response, the work around was to just pattern match on the error and try again if we encountered it. That’s worked fairly well.
Are you, by any chance, using SES?
pza
Yup we’re using SES as well. We also retry (100x!) and still observe ~1 failure per hour.
I’m considering moving to the SES plugin.
travisf
I haven’t tried the SES package. Our solution is working pretty well, most of the issues we have now are with specific email addresses, which is likely more of an SES problem than a Bamboo/our codebase one. Ultimately there is some talk of moving away from SES to mandrill because they have much better logging/retry features.
thomas.fortes
Did you check the service quotas of SES?
https://us-east-1.console.aws.amazon.com/servicequotas/home/services/ses/quotas
pza
Yeah. Under quota
pza
I moved to the SES adaptor. it was super easy and I’ve seen zero send errors in the 12 hours since going to prod.