alex1
Hello everyone!
I have a question how to make an interval selector. I’m very new to elixir and phoenix and not sure how to solve my problem in the most idiomatic way. Here is what I’m trying to do and it doesn’t work:
<.simple_form id="paste-form" for={@form} phx-change="validate" phx-submit="save">
<.input type="select"
field={@form[:expiration]}
options={["One second", %Postgrex.Interval{secs: 1}]}
/>
...
</.simple_form>
If I do like this, I’ve got
protocol Enumerable not implemented for %{days: 0, microsecs: 0, months: 0, secs: 1} of type Postgrex.Interval (a struct)
So, how should I make an interval selector?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
alex1
I tried to write my own version of CoreComponents.input that would not call
options_for_select, but then I got a different problem: I needed to implement [Phoenix.HTML.Safeprotocol for my interval. What’s worse, from form it was coming as text, so in my context I had parse text and make it back into the interval (EctoInterval).At the end I just made it an integer field
expiration_sec, and that made code so much simpler.Hermanverschooten
You cannot just put complex types into
<option>, put values like1,30,60,300in there and convert them to the correct interval on the backend. Remember that all value-parameters in html are strings.LostKobrakai
Any data you render to html will need to be converted to a string format, which can be placed in the final html. That’s what this protocol is used for. If it’s not implemented then it’s unknown how to convert the value you supplied to that corresponding string/html.
Again that’s how forms in html work. Their inputs have string values and string values are submitted (excluding file uploads). That’s what
Ecto.Type.cast/1callbacks for the ecto type of your field is meant to deal with. Convert from incoming weakly typed formats to stronger typed runtime values. If the ecto type you’re using doesn’t support the string format you need you can wrap it in a custom type you create, which can handle your needed string format and delegate to the underlying ecto type everywhere else.tomciopp
You’re going to want to use iso8601 duration strings to convert to and from
Postgrex.IntervalSo in your html the value for 1 second would be
P1S, etc.