Introductory talks of Erlang/Elixir Concurrency?

Hi,

I’m trying to sell Elixir to my team for building high performance services? Are there any good introductory talks/videos about Erlang/Elixir Concurrency? I searched on youtube but failed to find any talks that are intended for people who know nothing about Erlang/Elixir. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

One place to look is in the previous Erlang Factories and User conferences, http://www.erlang-factory.com/ . There are many talks there on how companies have used Erlang, and now Elixir as well, in building systems. There are many use cases of different types of systems.

4 Likes

Thanks Robert! I’ll take a look at the talks listed there!

Here is another interesting talk from a user group meeting. It is by Dan Macklin head of R&D at Bet365 about introducing Erlang into Bet365. It is less technical and more about the problems around introducing new technology.

Dan has also given a bit more technical talks as well at CodeMesh about introducing Erlang to Bet365. They are Erlang but would apply to Elixir as well. They are also good.

2 Likes

I am working on a talk right now (which will be given through the internet at the Alchemists-Philippines Meetup on the 30th of June) that tackles this problem somewhat; Both going in into why Elixir/Erlangs approach to concurrency is important, how it works and after that explaining how OTP is built on top of that. It will be a practical introduction, so it will also involve some syntax, but the goal is to make this understandable for beginners, including people who’ve never seen Elixir before.

I’ll keep you updated.

1 Like

Also, I believe that this is a very good introduction to what Elixir does differently, and why that is awesome:

1 Like