rahultumpala

rahultumpala

Hello Elixir community,

I work primarily on Java and other object oriented programming languages and often found it difficult to read an elixir codebase, to recollect what I have written when re-visiting my code after a break.

To help with this, I built the iris library.

Iris generates a webpage from your codebase and lists all your applications, modules and methods. Method call paths are also generated and visualized. You can use this to teach explain product managers about your codebase!

I am unable to add a screenshot here as I’m a new user. Please click on the link to see the screenshot in my github repo.

I would love to hear your feedback on the library. Please try it out !

Thanks!

Installation

def deps do
  [
    {:iris, "~> 0.1.0"}
  ]
end

Usage

$ mix iris

Github:

https://github.com/rahultumpala/iris

Showing Posts 1 to 10

rahultumpala

rahultumpala OP

Hello Elixir Community,

Please find the interactive demo for this project generated by iris and hosted on HexDocs in the IrisUI section of the docs located at iris v0.2.3 — Documentation

Alternatively IrisUI can be directly found at https://hexdocs.pm/iris/irisui,html

Again, your feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you!

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Very cool, however quite heretical to refer to functions as “methods” :upside_down_face:

rahultumpala

rahultumpala OP

Hazards of writing java a lot – everything starts looking like a method.

ouven

ouven

Hi, I wanted to try iris, but it broke with a dependency conflict. Would it be a good idea to make it installable as escript like: mix escript.install hex iris?

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

@rahultumpala it would make sense to restrict ex_doc to only: :dev here: iris/mix.exs at main · rahultumpala/iris · GitHub like

- {:ex_doc, "~> 0.38.4"}
+ {:ex_doc, ">= 0.38.4", only: :dev}

rahultumpala

rahultumpala OP

Indeed, this fixes the issue. Thanks @mudasobwa .

@ouven please retry with v0.1.3.

I am not entirely clear about the usage of escript.install mix task. Let me check on this.

ouven

ouven

Thank you! Works great.

Do you plan to also support umbrella apps?

rahultumpala

rahultumpala OP

Yes, its in my queue. Hopefully I can publish it by end of this month.

a-maze-d

a-maze-d

I played around with your example and it’s surely an interesting library. Well done!

A couple of things that I noticed:

  • you are not using tags in your github repo and therefore your documentation doesn’t go to the correct code :frowning:
  • it would be nice if you could move from the iris documentation to the hexdoc documentation (and/or to the actual code). I have seen the “Documentation” icon which pops up the ExDoc documentation for the @moduledoc, but then you can’t get any further :frowning:
  • Also the “Documentation” for function @doc doesn’t open when you select it, you need to click on the icon in the graph once more.

I’m not sure on how useful the library will be for me and whether it fits my way of thinking, but I will surely try it out more

Thanks for creating and sharing it

Taun

Taun

@rahultumpala , would you like feedback here or in the repo as an issue?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews