Is anyone finding it difficult learning Elixir or Phoenix?

Ughh. Real World Haskell. Here’s a review from amazon:

This is one of the worst programming language books ever… its almost useless.

In my experience, it was worse than that. “Real World Haskell” permanently soured me on learning Haskell. I have a permanent grudge against the Haskell community for foisting that book on people trying to learn Haskell.

My path to understanding FP was taking one of those free online courses when Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCS) were all the rage. Of course the FREE part of the model was unsustainable, so right after I finished my course, they started charging for courses. The course I took was on Erlang, presented by the FutureLearn website, which was taught by Simon Thompson, one of the authors of “Erlang Programming”. Struggling mightily for two months with Erlang is what got me on my way. Personally, I would recommend learning some Erlang before trying to learn Elixir.

Always deep dive in Macro and Stream in elixir are difficult for me

I love this topic. One thing that helped me tremendously: stop overthinking…

I was always trying to see some super complex rocket science behind everything in Elixir and Phoenix. It took me years, but then I started to see the genius behind how simple yet powerful things are. It was almost laughable when I was re-reading the docs then – I was like OMG, it’s literally been written here word by word how it is and how it works for years, there’s not a single word missing or redundant. It’s like listening to Dvorak’s symphony :smile: Why was I unable to see it for so long? :smiley:

4 Likes