AstonJ

AstonJ

If so I (and hopefully others!) might have some tips for you :slight_smile:

But first, please say which area you’re finding most challenging:

  • Understanding the concepts
  • Remembering those concepts

Please also include:

  • Books you’ve read so far
  • Whether you have read the official guides yet? (If not, why not?)
  • Any other resources you have read/watched about the topic

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dc0d

dc0d

I came from Go (3 years) to Elixir and before that I was doing .NET (C#/F#) for about 14 years. It has been almost 3 years since I use Elixir on and off (mostly R&D and personal projects - only one real world) and I (think) understand most of it and most of Phoenix, well enough.

Now (hopefully) I am going to write Elixir on a daily basis. Still I do not feel comfortable enough using Elixir or Phoenix . I want to achieve more and be more productive yet I feel I lag - sometimes unpleasantly. One feeling that I have is that the language and the framework (both of them) change too much. I really hope they slow down a bit and get more stable.

It is hard to pinpoint the problem. But I know I love Elixir very much and a good community have my back.

Thanks!

adrianrl

adrianrl

Coming from an OOP background like me (C#, PHP and Python), I think the problem to make the transition isn’t Elixir but getting your head around functional programming and thinking differently. Elixir is so simple once you understand the concepts of functional programming.

If I had to start over again, I’d love to work with some functional language. Learning design patterns, understand all things related to classes, objects, interfaces and so on, is the most scary thing.

WolfDan

WolfDan

At the beginning understanding all the FP concepts, right now I’m trying to understand better concurrent systems, still a complex topic for me at least since there’s a lot of things to take in mind and there’s not a lot of resources, you don’t see it too much when developing Phoenix web apps, but when you do another kind of projects you need to reason about those things and there’s quite hard to get the right solution for what you’re looking for

An amazing journey so far, Elixir is an amazing language

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

What I’ve found challenging at the beginning:

  • rebinding variables (are they unmutable and mutable?)
  • pattern matching with pin operator
  • why can’t I match on functions
  • in Phoenix - the similar syntax for module attributes and EEx assigns; that drove me crazy
10
Post #4
chenge

chenge

Elixir is easy to learn. Phoenix is a little hard, framework is always hard.

Is there some simple enough tutorial?

Zesky665

Zesky665

Elixir and Phoenix weren’t that difficult to figure out, even for someone without a lot of prior experience. What really held me back was the lack of knowledge about everything else (e.g how to use relational databases). Even now the most challenging part of building applications with phoenix isn’t phoenix, it’s the front end, especially anything having to do with asynchronous JavaScript (which I still suck at).

It’s kind of why I love Drab and try to plug it in everywhere I can. It just solves so many of the problems that I would have had to use JavaScript for otherwise.

script

script

I started my professional development career in elixir. So every thing was new to me . The thing I found most difficult was finding appropriate help for problems. Now here on elixir forum community is good. There are fewer libraries and most of the time we have to implement basic features from scratch. So I think community needs to focus more on this. But over all I think elixir and phoenix both are good. Different from other web dev languages. Only boundary is your imagination :blush:

Zesky665

Zesky665

Just out of curiosity what are some libraries that you think are missing?

gpb

gpb

I found some parts of Phoenix a bit slippery at first, mainly the stuff written in macros, since it tended to make things a bit less explicit to me.

I just accepted this as working within a framework, and tried to focus on learning the common idioms used in it, but kinda lacked a deeper understanding the underlying mechanisms and why things were organized the way they were.

But, after listening to a couple of talks by Chris McCord, things finally made sense!

Kurisu

Kurisu

It’s not very difficult, but I wish there were more detailed tutorials that keep in mind that there are beginners. Sometimes I feel sad that a great language and framework such as elixir and phoenix aren’t attracting much more people than the current pace… But it must be that I am too impatient. ^^

One challenge that I will face very soon is the deployment of my first Elixir/Phoenix project… I gathered a lot of tutorials for the matter that will help but it sounds not very very easy to achieve a deployment… But I remain optimistic.
I would like to use cowboy with haproxy for serving my app since I read somewhere that it is what you’ve done for this forum application. I found a tutorial so if I have any problem deploying, I’ll end back probably for asking help. :slight_smile:

If someone have any elixir/phoenix app deployment suggestions for me, please feel free to make them.

For the libraries I missed, I will say an all in one authentication designed for newbies. ^^
Now I’m using Phauxth for my project. It doesn’t implement things like Facebook authentication, but It is very light and easy for understanding for even a newbie.

I would like also to have a smart migration generator library. What I mean ? For example if I want to add a new column to a table, I just have to edit a model file and the right migration file will be generated by running some command. This way all definitions of the same table fields will always appear in the same place. But this is just a whim I guess. ^^

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews